a radio for my bike.

Yes, the white wire radio was joke and to be honest, I'm sure that you would get too much interference. I'm thinking you would get a buzzing sound that changed pitch as your motor revved up and down.
But, If you really want a radio and after reading this thread, I'd say you do, why not just go with an old stereo out of a scrap car. It's been many years but I used to do this, It's simple and cheap and as you know, you can sit in a car for hours with the radio playing, hours and hours if you think about it. You would have to mount speakers and a battery but that is not a big problem. Just make sure that you get the plug/wires that come from the stereo if you go to a auto scrap yard as it's a real pain soldering wires to the posts that the plug would slide into. It would also help if the wires or the stereo itself had markings telling you which wire goes where..eg. red=positive,
green =left front ..blue=right front ....that sort of thing.

hollywood, i really like that, but i want somthing a little louder/bigger. but im definately gettng 1 sor my push bike! thanks for the link

and cool toy, im definately gonna try that..... that is if theyll let me in.... i tried going in 2 yrs agao and they said, u gotta be 14 0r 15 annt remember.

Most that I've been to have a shelf in the front office full of them, but those are taken out because they can ask money for them, or you could look around for a rust bucket around your area. Just remember that newer push button radios have one wire that is always "on" so that the radio remembers your stations. Not a big deal but I'd look for an older dial radio for 10 or 20 bucks.

With this kind of info you can do it in a half hour and you do not have to use all the speakers , just do not let the unused wires touch each other. The "accessory" wire is the one that is the memory and is always on power, unless you want to program the channels in every time you start up the bike.
You could even go with a small amp or booster and a sub woofer (boom boom box) but everything takes power. Also, I would not use the "ground" of the bike frame. I would just go right to the battery with the ground so that it is not getting any bad **** from the motors magneto. Oh...by the way, don't forget an antenna

Attachments

• audio_wiring.jpg
    audio_wiring.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Glad I could help and I wish you luck with your hunt and if needed, don't forget to ask before shorting out a wire.
After you get that going we can work on
this:

Attachments

• tn_untitled.jpg
    tn_untitled.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 176
I'd go for a much larger battery than that dude, especially for that price! 1.2ah probably isn't going to last a long time running speakers loud enough to be heard over that 2 stroke. It'll run even less time if you put a lighting setup on the same battery (and why wouldn't you, do you really wanna charge 2 or more batteries every time you get home?) And on top of that if you DO run these SLA batteries down below 10v you can cause permanent damage to them. You want to always be sure that you're going to have power to spare and that charging isn't going to be a pain in the butt as its best to recharge them asap after use.
With my lighting system I used 16ga automotive wire and a ton of parts from that electric scooters part site. There was no soldering involved just some cutting, stripping and crimping. I used a bunch of insulated tab terminal connectors to hook up all my components. You'll have to be sure to get a multimeter too just to make sure you're getting your polarity correct or you will destroy your electronics or start a fire. Always place a fuse as close to the hot terminal (+) as possible just in case something shorts out.
Maybe you could get a pannier bag setup built for Ebikes. some of them have two side bags and a top bag meant for batteries/storage. You would just have to find a way to mount a rack on the stingray, the rack would probably require some modification since the rear wheel is so small on them and the seat is further back than common bicycles.
I like the idea about the car stereo much more than the boombox however you would probably have to keep it as one solid unit. Which means if you wanted to put it on your dashboard it would be incredibly clunky. A boombox dial would be just as difficult to incorporate into a dashboard. I've taken them apart before and it would basically involve re-engineering the whole dial mechanism and syncing it to the correct frequency again In either case you'd have tons of wires mounting anything up on the handlebars like that. I would think it would also be a ton harder to waterproof exposed like that rather than secured and under the flap of a bag. The push preset ones would be perfect, I'm pretty sure modern LCD radios suck down more juice too which is not favorable on a machine with no alternator (yet) :)

If you want I can assemble a parts list off that site for you. I can vouch for them, I have my electronics box almost complete (just have to mount it on the bike, hook up the brake switches and headlight) and every component works perfectly. I think their stuff is chinese but what isn't these days... In either case I didn't receive anything that was overly flimsy, defective or even rough around the edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
jake, i would love it if ya coule get me some links for a battery, and a charger that will work with it! i have a cd boom box, my dad paied 70 for back when they 1st came out with cds. i might use that. thaks again. the parts will be here this week, and hopfully ill have somthing to test my work with.

Back