A rattling sound coming from my engine? a little worried! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local time
6:11 PM
Im hearding a rattling sound comming from my engine. Im not to sure what the problems is. To be honest I wasnt really nice to this engine. At times I didnt really put a 20:1 ratio I would just mix by sense! I feel horrible now. But this last gas tank I mixed a 40:1 ratio. Anyone has any feelings what this noise is?? The next engine I get I WILL NOT EVER neglect!!

If the noise changes when the clutch is engaged or not, then you have nothing to worry about. The clutch bearing design in these engines is known to be noisy. It is kind of a raspy random rattling at idle with the clutch disengaged. As soon as you release the clutch lever and hit the friction zone, the noise usually changes.

However, if your rattling is precisely timed to engine RPM, you may have some issues with a connecting rod bearing.

What can I do about this? Im not a pro at taking apart these engines though. I still heard the noise when I was riding at high rpms...I was wondering if I should increase the oil to fuel mixture ratio? Right now im running 36:1. By the way I usually never percisly measure the oil I put in. This is the first tank where I actually measured things out. Anywho, the noice is timed to the rpms i think. I was just checking it. What can I do? Its not REALLY loud, but its noticable. Someone told me that its probally the piston ring that is worn down?. From this engine on im treating SO much better!! I learned my lesson! I only had about 250 miles on it sofar. But it still pulls really hard though. No loss in performance, just that rattling sound!!

Yup, I would grease the gears on the right side. Cover comes off easy (3 bolts I think). Mine started with some noise, tossed some axle grease on there and all is good now. It is a good idea to grease the gears on all new engines.

40:1 sounds very lean to me, I still run 24:1 to be safe.

Don't worry about it and don't worry about the 20:1 oil ratio. You are doing more harm with using 20:1 than 40:1 with greater risk of stuck ring and carbon build up.

As for the noise, I've got an engine that makes the most horrendous noise (rattles) at high rpms. It did it since new and that was almost 3 years ago. I tore it apart and never could figure out what the issue was.

As for my new build im getting a new engine. So should I start the oil ratio at 32:1 or lower for the break in? Im going to reduce my current engine from 40:1 to 32:1 because I dont really use high quality oil. I use Castrol motor oil sometimes or 2 cycle oil from autozone.

dose it sound like this? <object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H_h1z3e7UX0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H_h1z3e7UX0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Wow, What was that?

the little cog thats on the crankshaft was loose.

This was the culprit. I just tightened the bolt as was fixed.

Attachments

• spare-drive-sprocket.jpg
    spare-drive-sprocket.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,379
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back