A Ride on my Push Trailer

Discussion in 'Push Trailers' started by bikeman6969, Feb 14, 2009.

1. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

Yesterday I went for a nice ride on my bike. My top speed was 45mph. Maybe a little too fast on a bicycle, but it seemed to ride pretty smoothe. A lot of people were looking at me like I was a nut. You would think that they had never seen a man on a bike with a push trailer before.

Attached Files:

• push.jpg
      push.jpg
      File size:
      664.8 KB
      Views:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Neat set-up.

I don't think it matters whether they've seen such a thing before or not; that thing is a head-turner. A "double-taker", too.

I can just picture them thinking, "Am I going crazy? Or did I just see a little engine pushing some guy down the road?"

3. graucho

graucho Active Member

Great set up! I always look at a biker in the winter. Thinking thats a true biking sportsman.:smile:

4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

You need more brakes!

Nice setup, great speed.

You definitely need more braking capacity.

You could have TWO side-pull vee brakes for $30.

I have vee brakes plus coaster brake on "The Dragon Lady". It goes about 30mph.

Any faster and I think I'd need at least front disc brake.

5. Rgvkid

Rgvkid Member

Thats funny, because i myself have never seen a man on a bike with a push trailer in aside from the web. I hope you got a good adrenaline boost while on your ride. Adrenaline is healthy, it makes you know your alive. How do you like the performance of the engine?

6. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

the motor runs great it is a little hard to start because i disconnected the governor but overall i like it

7. macarollo

macarollo Guest

What is your 45-0mph time with that coaster brake?

8. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Excellent Push Trailer Craig!!! 45Mph!!! Way too fast for a bicycle, and all the more reason to ride! A very strong and compact design! Loving that 6.5 I see :D

As long as you ride that thing, people will look at you like you are a nut! I still get that on mine, LOL.

Have fun on that thing!
    ZnsaneRyder

9. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

Thank you i am glad you all like my trailor i do have a a front hand brake on it now but it is still not enough i will try to be carefull

10. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes -- me too -- careful

that's a good thing bikeman -- careful
    I went down so fast on my buddies MB little over a week ago
    still sore

that's an interesting pusher MB thing
    the thought of riding one of those
    get's the mind going on this early morning

keep us updated
    have fun as you

ride that THING

11. macarollo

macarollo Guest

One thing I really like about your setup is your jackshaft. Changing the gear ratios wouldn't be too difficult. You could almost make any ratio you wanted.

12. RidingJesus

RidingJesus New Member

That trailer looks like FUN!!! I'm wanting to build a motorized bicycle, but I REALLY like the idea of a trailer! hmm.....

IMO a trailer would be great because you can carry stuff with it, that you normally can't carry on a bicycle. Also it's 4 strokes, so no need to mix fuel. How many miles per gallon does it get?

13. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

I dont know what I get for miles yet I havent driven it that much yet but i hope to as soon as it warms up it is still a little to cold here in the northeast

14. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

These kind of speeds invite unwelcome attention from the LAW,with these things you can get a lot of oomph,and have a ball while it lasts or end up killing yourself and may be some innocents.And when they clamp down, as is surely going to happen, as these trailers become more popular, we're ALL going to get screwed.

15. Accender

Accender Member

Finally a strong connection to the bike. That aluminum stuff is the suck.

Looking good guy!

A

16. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

A couple questions....
    Where did you find a 10 tooth 3/4 clutch?

So far mfgsupply.com has the best prices....Any other good places to buy parts?

I am making a parts list to start building one of these and plan on using a 12t clutch...to a 13t/13t jackshaft and then a 40t on the wheel to make a 3.33 gear ratio.

edit....bigbearingstore has some good prices on sprockets and chain...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  17. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

I got the 10 tooth clutch from Northern Tool and i got the bearings from the bigbearingstore.

18. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

A couple more questions...
    Did you make the solid seat post?
    I noticed that my seat post bottle necks down to about 7/8ths inch.

What did you use to hook up the throttle cable to the engine?
    I watched the youtube videos of the guy race prepping the 6.5 and he uses a throttle kit.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  19. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

I have to congratulate you once again, it's a very well built trailer. One of the best builds I have seen.

Got any pictures of your whole bicycle fleet? You sure are building quite a collection.

20. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

Gen3Benz
    I do have a solid seat post I had it made at my daughters tec.school and as far as the throttle I have it hooked up with a wire clamp it is kind of mickey moused but it works if you want a pic just let me know.