A short rant about luxury cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Parah_Salin, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Parah_Salin

Parah_Salin Member

After walking down the street a little earlier I saw 4 luxury sports-sedans drive by, all by the 4 respective brands that are most popular in the US: Mercades, Audi, BMW, and Lexus.

After some wishful thinking, I thought, which one would I want.

The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that they are all A: Very Expensive, B: Faster than I, or almost anyone else, can handle, C: get good enough fuel economy to not activelly be murdering the planet, but not so good that you are going to brag about it. So it's all image.

My feeling is that the Mercades and the BMW are in the same boat. Very German, precise, fancy, sophisticated. They are bought by wall street hot shots who want every single little performance advantage as they are stuck in traffic commuting along the Jersy turnpike. The guy in the Merc is more likely to go to a swinger's party, and the guy in the BMW is more likely to become a facist dictator, but they are both ****s. They are like the Amarni suits that these sort of ware (except German- which means not-elegant. The Germans are so bad at elegance that when they decided to do that "ze third riech vill last for von-sousand years!" thing, they got italians to designt hier uniforms). Dull, conservative, and smelling like the un-sexy end of facism.

Now, that brings us to the Lexus. The Lexus is a toyota with heated leather seats, this strange and unusual thing called "rear wheel drive" and a sat nav system built into the car (which is so worth the extra $1500 over a tom tom). It is luxury for new rich people who HAD to get a luxury car, but at the end of the day shop at mens warehouse for thier buisness suits and ware scooby-doo boxers instead of "High performance silk-carbon fiber rienforced platinum lined" briefs (the guy in the BMW gets them in white, as he forgets that skid marks are only cool when they are on the road). He still probably clips out coupons just out of habbit, he's not that comfortable with being rich.

This leaves the Audi. Audis used to be like the Mercs and the Bimmers, but now they've gone all bowie on us. See they ALL have eyeliner:

See: http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/AudiR8.jpg

See? the rest of it is like that Armani suit jacket, but this is the sort of guy who wares it with snake-skin cowboy boots, a lepord print tie, black eyeliner, and black nail polish with leather fingerless gloves. And he is still an investment banker. He just does this to **** people off. But for some reason he dosn't get fired, either because he is good at what he does, or they think he is because he is so ballsy. Audis are definitely they way to go.

2. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

If you want to drive a luxury car, buy one that is about 3-4 years old. Let someone else take the big hit in depreciation. But if you're a guy like me, who cringes at the cost of dealer maintenance and repairs, learn how to work on your car.

Most Japanese "luxury" cars are nothing more than "gussied up" versions of their "non-luxury" counterparts. There are also some very nice American made luxury cars out there, and because public perception is all about the Japanese brands, these cars can be had relatively cheaply on the used market. Heck, even some makes like Volvo make a solid car, but are underpriced in the used car market.
  3. sparky

sparky Active Member

Thank you for this thread, OP!

My Z3 isn't dull, tho it does smell like the un-sexy end of fascism from me leaving the top down during a torrential downpour a few weeks ago. And it's nice to know where my car's model came from "Ze 3rd Reich!"

I've been meaning to get some briefs with more support... and those "high performance silk-carbon fiber reinforced platinum lined" briefs sound like the shiznit. Where can I find them?
  4. EnFlaMEd

EnFlaMEd Member

Well written and hilarious!

I have an older Toyota luxury coupe. Manual 2.5L inline twin turbocharged 6cyl. Why did I buy it? Because its fun as **** to drive and a good "hotroders" car. Im fortunate enough to have some excellent hills roads where I live to take advantage of its performance though. Toyota are very will built vehicles and offer supurb value for money over their european counterparts. That said if I had the cash I would love an M3 or RS6 :p
  5. Parah_Salin

Parah_Salin Member

Target has them, but only lexus drivers shop there.
  6. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

I would only buy audi or porsche. But I think 95% of people that buy performance cars dont have near enough skill to drive them at their maximum, especially luxury cars. Almost all of the people that drive luxury cars are ******S. Most think that because they drive a Mercedes that they can take up two spaces in the parking lot or cut out in front of you without looking or apology afterwards.

I am more into Japanese cars... really like the new 370z. all the greatness of the 350 but with less fat and more grunt.

My dad has a $100k+ 07 gt500 supersnake with 725hp... its a beast. Its kinda like hitting warp speed in the starship enterprise... so fun to drive.

My FAVORITE car ever is my 91 honda crx. I have completely rebuilt the whole car from the suspension up. I am putting in another new b16 right now. I have a little over $10k invested and can take it out to the road racing track and smoke sti's, m3's, and z06's, and porsches...

I get way more satisfaction out of beating guys that spent ten times What I did, in a car I built myself.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. tcg20

tcg20 New Member

give_me_vtec, that CRX sounds awesome, I've always loved that car. So light but such a solid stance.

As far as luxury cars go, I hate them. I've been resenting the entire industry for a while now (USA market especially). Mercedes E class will drive itself and the Lexus hybrid will alert you if you dose off. Luxury cars all have sophisticated European women telling you turn left and a fancy screen to stare at that isn't the road. Even beyond luxury, you can't get a genuine manual transmission on most new cars, but you can get a paddle shift sportronic p.o.s.

The industry reflects the consumers. American drivers don't drive, they drone. They want a go pedal and a stop pedal, they want the car to work but don't want to know how, they see for about 20 ft in front of them, and the only task most can perform is filling the tank, and hopefully remember to get the oil changed at Valvoline or some other waste of money car shop.

Riding a motored bike definitely gives you a unique perspective of the roads. And you quickly realize how inattentive drivers are. That experience translates when I hop in my car. I've got an older Infiniti G20 2.0l 5spd, yes it is a luxury brand but c'mon not even a cupholder in the thing. Nice Infinity sound system though. Great car, 35mpg easily achievable. I drive very firm and still manage 30mpg on city streets.
    SR20DE engine, easy to work on, cheap(ish) parts (sometimes the Infiniti name ups the price but the cheaper Nissan parts usually are exact matches).

It's everything I need in a car, no nonsense, still looks great. She grew up in Arizona so there's absolutely zero rust, all highway. A ding or two but she looks great, timeless body design IMO, engine's running like clockwork at 130k, all stock right now but I'm thinking about some basic upgrades. And there's not too many of them on the road.
    Great car. Always dreamed about dropping in a SR20DET with some serious work, make a sick trackrat..

But anyway, that wasn't the point. My point is the American public, in general, lacks an understanding of proper operation of a motor vehicle. So the auto industry reflects this. Manual transmission sales drop off, less manuals are produced. People like being told which route to take instead of figuring it themselves, give them navi screens. They get tired of driving, give them an infrared autopilot system.

There's a Lexus HS (the one that wakes you up if you get a little sleepy) commercial and there's a line at the end that's something like, "Someday, we'll all be driving like this." BS.
  8. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Since we are stereotyping car owners, let's talk about Prius Owners:

Let’s get down to brass tacks here - the typical Prius owner’s sense of smugness is built around a completely false façade of environmental friendliness. The fact is, a Prius actually causes a larger carbon footprint than most notorious gas guzzlers on the road when it's time to send that toxic battery off to pasture.

Never mind the fact that the gas mileage isn’t even revolutionary. A Jetta TDI beats the Prius on highway fuel economy and those owners, for some reason, don’t feel the need to remind everyone about it constantly. Maybe it's because they're not dooshbags.

The biggest issue here is the fact that the Prius may in fact be the most narcissistic automotive purchase a person can make. Beyond the reasons above, there’s a readout on the dashboard that shows the driver in real-time what their current mpg is.

The problem created here is that it trains people to drive like dooshbags at the expense of everyone else around them, taking the most obnoxious aspects of hypermiling and applying them en masse on freeways around the world.

Congrats Toyota, you managed to actually create dooshbags.

Censor would not allow me to write d.o.u.ch.bags
  9. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

I'm pretty sure they were dooshbags before they bought the car. This just enhanced them.
  10. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

OMG... totally agree. Especially about the batteries.
  11. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

The hypermilers are the eco-weenie metrosexuals, and bra-less hippie chicks with hairy pits. (and the older ones have grey hair because they refuse to color it)

Then we have the folks who bought them not to save gas, but to relieve them of guilt. In other words, the poser eco-weenie. These are the ones who drive them fast (well, fast for a shoebox) and weave in and out of traffic and won't move over for you to pass when they can't pedal any faster.

I'll take an Audi A4 TDI six speed. What does that make me? (I'll disconnect the ghey LED eyebrows)
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  12. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

Probably a lot like me, my car is a Acura CL 3.2 Type S. Yes it can go fast, with tweaking it can go really fast.

I look at things this way. My personal mpg is figured out by taking the total number of miles "I" move and the total number of gallons of gas I use in all vehicles I operate. I figure I must be getting somewhere around 80 mpg without actually tracking it. That seems like an eco friendly MPG to me. In the old days I used to pedal a lot and that would have made my MPG even higher.

Question: Why don't Smart Cars have 3 cylinder engines in the US?
  13. sparky

sparky Active Member

I'll take a Subaru Impreza WRX STI, thanks! No need to worry about MPGs in Dream Land. An AWD 6-speed with 300+hp would be my fantasy.

Because the Corporatocracy does not want you to have any 3-cylinder engines. They say things like, "They're all gonna laugh at you!"... and then you believe it.
  14. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

We were actually considering the VW Jetta TDI Sport Wagon before the Audi A4 TDI. Doesn't matter because we've decided to keep the money rather than spend it due to the economy. Not a good time to significantly drain the savings account.

As far as three cylinder weenie cars go (hehehe), they don't offer them here because they don't sell. The Subaru Justy, Chevy Sprint, Geo Metro, and Suzuki Swift were all available with a 3 cylinder engine. The Suzuki (along with the Chevy and Geo variants) got 55-60 mpg highway - better than a stupid Prius, and this was over 15 years ago. Why don't they make them anymore? They didn't sell well, plain and simple. Back then, you could also get cars like the Civic HF (high fuel economy) which had tiny four cylinder engines (1.3L) but got great mileage. It was also a sales disaster. So your imaginary "corporatocracy" has nothing to do with it, it is all simple demand and supply. In Europe, there is demand for tiny engines, so they are offered.

Also remember that the Smart is primarily a city car oversees, but here in America, it will likely see freeway use and will benefit from a more powerful engine. (displacement wise, the 4 banger is the same as the Geo Metro 3 banger)

I bet the Prius would probably get almost as good fuel mileage if they kept the tiny ICE engine and dumped the electric motor, battery and other hybrid junk to lighten it up. But it wouldn't sell as well because it wouldn't have the "Hybrid" sticker on it. And without being a Hybrid, the Prius is just a dorkmobile. Well actually, it still is even with the Hybrid sticker. Not because of the car itself, but because of the typical Prius owner........
  15. sparky

sparky Active Member

My mom bought her Civic in 2000. I read about the HF online, tho I thought it was the HX... and tried to convince my mom to get that car instead. She had no interest in it, even tho it got something like 50 mpg. We asked about it at the dealership, but of course they wouldn't actually have a car that gets 50 mpg on the lot. What a surprise. My mom had no interest in ordering a vehicle for an extra 15 mpg. I think that's just silly, but whatever. Efficiency is always my no. 1 concern.

There's nothing imaginary about the advertising beast that contributes to NECESSARY profits for the Corporatocracy. They flash images of huge Toyota Tundras and all the big bad-arse components on it, so people buy Tundras... not like they actually NEED a Tundra, but they know it exists. How many commercials have you seen for a Civic HF/HX?!? That car's been around forever.

People in America buy BIG sh1t because they're told to buy BIG sh1t. Plain and simple. The vast majority of people are obedient. See a McDonald's commercial, go get McDonald's!! See a Wendy's commercial, go get Wendy's! That's what happens when commercial advertising takes up a THIRD of your regularly scheduled program. I don't understand how people can sit there and watch/listen to ads for so much time of their life. It's unreal.

Thanks for proving my point!! :detective: With income tax rebates for buying a hybrid.... it's not THAT bad. It's still not good, tho. :rolleyes7:
  16. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Don't you drive an old BMW? Hardly as efficient as the Civic you wanted your mother to buy.

No, people in America buy big cars because many Americans LIKE big cars. Not because we're told to by advertising, but because people just like them. When Europeans come here, they absolutely LOVE driving our cars. They drive their subcompacts because their government forces them to do so. (through massive fuel taxes)

Until you sell your Bimmer for a 3 cylinder Geo Metro, you should temper your "corporatocracy" rhetoric.

This is America - you are free to drive what you want to drive. (just don't whine about fuel prices if you choose a guzzler!)
  17. sparky

sparky Active Member

I think that 28 mpg [in such sexy, convertible style] on the highway isn't too terribly inefficient compared to her 35 mpg. The Z3 is only 18 mpg in the city, but that's what I have my MB for!! 100+ mpg > all else.

Also, there's more to efficiency than strictly MPGs. There's efficiency in needing to replace parts, efficiency in part costs, efficiency in labor due to design of vehicle, efficiency in total passengers, efficiency in picking up chicks, efficiency in resale value, etc. I chose to buy the Z3 for the efficiency of a few of those reasons but mostly the latter, as it will be IMPOSSIBLE for me to sell this car at a loss, and, more than likely, I'll end up making a couple grand off it AFTER driving it for a year. Whenever I do get ready to sell it in the next few months, I'll go back to my true loves - used Nissans, Toyotas, & Subarus. I think it's about time for me to try a Subaru, even tho we don't have snowy/icy roads here that would make the AWD an obvious choice for me. I drove the very first [Legacy] Outback, and the thing was smooth as butter... and from that memory alone, I think I'm gonna give the Subie a chance.

No, whatever you say! Are you gonna try to convince everyone that elections aren't bought? ... and 33% of television isn't effective advertisement?

Americans LIKE big cars because (A) they're told repeatedly over and over, day in and day out, that they must have a big car, (B) they're fat from too many Whopper commercials, among other producers needing to generate profit from mindless consumers (C) they're ridiculed for even wanting something more fuel efficient; over the past 9 years, I knew of one, single, solitary person who didn't laugh their asses off the day I told them I rode my bicycle to school, the day I decided I was gonna get a motor scooter, or the day I decided I was gonna get an old beater van so that I could haul a buncha people around so that we wouldn't have to drive multiple vehicles, & (D) THEY'RE NOT EVEN PRESENTED WITH THE OPTION OF GETTING A 3-CYLINDER OR HONDA HF/HX TO BEGIN WITH, BECAUSE THE DEALER DOESN'T HAVE IT, HASN'T HEARD OF IT, OR WOULD GIVE A BIG "BWAAAHAHAHAHA :jester:" TO THE CONCEPT OF A VEHICLE THAT GETS 50 MPG... "IT'S SO TINY AND HAS NO ZIP!" If it's not on the lot, how do you expect a salesman to sell it?? Do you think a salesman would have an easy time selling a Civic HF/HX in America? Why? For starters, his paycheck wouldn't be up to par, I know that. It'd be nice to know how many salesmen actually pushed the Civic HF/HX.. and how many salesmen ever heard of Peak Oil and truly understood the concept.

There are sooo many variables that affect someone from getting a smaller vehicle that gets 50 mpg. If you hadn't stumbled across it from researching on the Internet, it's a more than reasonable chance that you wouldn't hear about a Civic HF/HX any other way. I've seen one HX when I was driving thru another state one time, and that was it. Where are all the rest? Prolly not for sale, because they're too rare. A couple people realize fuel efficiency is important to them for numerous, obvious reasons... while the rest do as they're told, without ever even caring to think about the bigger picture.

First of all, I'd rather have a Civic HF/HX. Second of all, I'll be paying a high premium to get either one of those or even a decent Geo Metro... compared the vast amount of my overall options. If you find me a decent price on a Civic HF/HX, I'll surely check into it... but more than likely, I'm going for the total package -- Subaru! :tt1: MPGs are overrated when you've got a frickin' MB, bro.

This is America, where elections are bought and the Corporatocracy makes up the minds of the most obedient consumers [and voters]. God Bless US!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  18. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

This is the best you have to cover up your obvious hypocricy?

Fact is that you whine about the lack of 3 cylinder 50 mpg shoebox cars, claim that "Efficiency is my number 1 concern" - and drive an ineffecient car. (when compared to the ones you demand be sold here) Then you redefine efficiency to include things like "efficiency in needing to replace parts, efficiency in part costs, efficiency in labor due to design of vehicle, efficiency in total passengers, efficiency in picking up chicks, efficiency in resale value, etc."

That's laughable. BMW's are notoriously expensive to fix, have shoddy reliabilty, and mediocre resale value. There are TONS of clapped out second hand luxury cars driven by the inner city residents everywhere because of their affordable resale value and the sheer numbers of them trickling into the third tier market. (your used car market)

I just love how people demand that manufacturers make a certain product, but would never buy that product themselves!
  19. sparky

sparky Active Member

Sure, I'm whining about the availability of cars that get 50 mpg. But I NEVER said that fuel efficiency was my #1 concern. Like I said, the fact that I bought the car for $1,800... only put about $300 into it... and would easily be able to put a price tag of $5,000 on it now... is THE reason I got the car. Economical efficiency at its greatest. And like I said, 28 mpg on the highway is NOT bad at all.

When did I say I'd never buy them? I woulda bought one when I started driving in 2001, IF THEY WERE AVAILABLE. BUT THEY WEREN'T Stuck with a super old and lame VW Fox, because it was given to me... then I upgraded to the perfect car, which was a Toyota Corolla. That car was small, but it had tons of room for my friends and I... I got close to 40mpg on the highway, before I put 17" rims on the car for better handling. I woulda bought some 16s, but NOBODY was buying those, so I actually had fewer options and if I woulda gone with the 16s, they woulda been more expensive.

I have no interest in fuel efficiency as much as overall cost to me, due to the nature of the economy at this point. I have a MB that gets 100+ mpg... why would I want a car that gets 35-40 mpg, when I can get a SEXY car for LESS and still gets 28 mpg on the HW?!? Like I said, fuel efficiency isn't my overall concern. A van would actually be more efficient than most cars, even tho they only get ~20 mpg.
  20. suspect

suspect Member

ive had so many cars i couldnt even list them all, my current car is this.
    doesnt get a nice MPG, but its getting a LPG conversion(one day) and that really not the point anyway.
    i realise that cars like that dont impress americans, but you have a hard time finding a guy around here who'd want a crx over a 1973 valiant ranger.