A Side Project

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AutOtaku, May 19, 2016.

1. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

I picked up a side project today from my dads storage house. Its a small 25cc (i think) mini chopper that i was only able to ride once. The plan is one of 3:

1: Get a replacement engine of the same size and just get the odds and ends that i would need to get running

2: Get a 66/80cc engine that we use on our bikes and try to adapt it to this frame

3: Get a Lifan 70cc (or larger) engine that are used to replace the engines on various Honda bikes. This would be the hardest option however.... Mini Chop1.jpg Mini Chop2.jpg Mini Chop3.jpg Mini Chop2.jpg Mini Chop4.jpg

2. skyash

skyash Active Member

Pocket bike motor with electric start by the looks thay only cost $60

3. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

Yeah but the ones I've seen like that have the drive gear on the opposite side as this one.....I may try and find a weed whackewhacked on craigslist for cheap and use that

4. skyash

skyash Active Member

Isn't your motor the same as a friction drive one in the bike kits and thay put 49 cc 4 stroke 142f motors on the bike kits to

5. skyash

skyash Active Member

EBay got these

Attached Files:

• $_1.JPG
      $_1.JPG
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
  6. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

The only difference between mine and a friction drive is that the friction drive a few more CC's bigger....that and friction drives are 4-stroke as opposed to 2-stroke

Do you have a link for this? This looks very well like it may work

7. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

So i tore apart the bike today and ripped out the engine. When i started to work on it today, The first thing i noticed was the pull start was broken. I attempted to fix it (and spent an hour doing so) to see if i could get the engine to run as it was not locked up and still had compression. I unmounted the engine from the frame to try and work on it in a more accessible environment. after i had the engine off, i notice lots of grass that had been lodged in the flywheel and up under the plastic cover by the coil and plug. I took the gearbox off and noticed that the clutch was charred to a crisp, I believe this was due to the grass getting lodge in the engine and burning (the only day i ever rode it was in a very grassy field). I continued to pull off the plastic covers and i noticed that the coil was also burnt and the wires were melted. It was then that i determined I did not want to even try and repair this engine and decided I would acquire a different engine. I believe the motorized bike engine would work well if i figure out a way to transfer the power from the clutch side of the engine to the sprocket on the wheel on the opposite side of the bike. I also feel as thought this engine would work well is because the kits online come with all the requirements to get these engines running: CDI, Tank, Clutch, Grips, Kill switches, etc. (in my case minus a pull start assembly). They also have a very large range of aftermarket/go fast parts to upgrade.

TL;DR Heres pictures

Mini Chop Teardown1.jpg Mini Chop Teardown2.jpg Mini Chop Teardown3.jpg Mini Chop Teardown4.jpg
    Forgive my "Rebel with a cause" friend, Jack

8. skyash

skyash Active Member

i have seen your motor on friction drive kits before thers like a 30cc 35cc 40 cc 49 cc i just looked for 2 stroke pocket bike motor on e bay and got the pick .a shop near by got them to about $80 .if you are thinking of running a 66cc you need 2 poles for a mount with welder thats pretty ezy and a jack shaft the 66cc wold probably be the best if you can get it to work

9. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

Thats what i was thinking, My dad has a welder so making mounts wouldnt be very hard. As for transfering the power I would have a short chain on the left side of the engine with the chain running between two drive sprockets, I would weld the sprocket not in the engine to a piece of round metal (an axle if you will) and then weld the sprocket from the original transmission on the other side of the engine to the other side of the axle

10. skyash

skyash Active Member

Yeah I made one I will put up a pic you can change the gears for ezy take off or top speed and the one on the back wheel

Attached Files:

11. skyash

skyash Active Member

As for the Mount this one's on a big chooper 26inc back wheel 4 Inc wide it's just 2 poles in a v shape on a flat plate could use 2 seat poles

Attached Files:

12. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

Thats what i was thinking about doing, except using the gear from my original transmission instead of two drive gears. Did you have the gears threaded so you could remove the inner pipe and what kind of bearings are those?

Side Note:
    Sweeet Super Famicom, are you in a PAL/NTSC-J region?

13. butre

butre Well-Known Member

you could get a lifan 200cc motor. about $500 for a 200cc single cylinder that's got the right looks for that frame.

14. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

I have thought about that but i'm worried that it would over power the rear wheel, be too heavy for the frame, and there would be a bit too much power for it. Also I would still have to figure out a way to transfer the power from the left side of the engine to the right side of the bike via a transmission and shafts which would mean a lot more $$$. Heres and ebay listing for reference http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFAN-200CC...YCLE-DIRT-BIKE-ATV-M-EN25-BASIC-/360197212940

Edit:
    For scale the truck its sitting behind is a Chevy S10/GMC S15 Sonoma that we laid down in the bed of to transport

15. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

Heres one i found using our 80cc engines, its homemade though.....

16. skyash

skyash Active Member

I can't tell you much I made it at work the shaft slides in and the sprockets on to it then do up the set screws the bearings are industrial as in from work maybe a hub off a back wheel you can use

17. skyash

skyash Active Member

I got 2 different choopers all left side drive and a off centre mount one from the shop made for the motor

18. skyash

skyash Active Member

And it's a push bike to start with. I think the 66cc would be cool because it's manual clutch. Can you maybe turn the back wheel around so the drive is on the left

Attached Files:

19. AutOtaku

AutOtaku Member

I've thought of doing that but the problem with that is the rear brake. Its a foot brake like on a real motorcyle and if I turned it around everything would be backwards and I'd have to make many little mounts and loops for it

20. skyash

skyash Active Member

You would not get much out the stock motor so eny thing bigger is better. Lots of 3 hp motors run right side drive it's just the clutch I don't know about like briggs and stratton if you can spine the back wheel at will would be awesome