Tubes A true flat Story

R

recumbentbill

Long story made short. Headed out Sat morning to breakfast date 35miles away. After a nice visit I headed back home. 12 miles from home while crossing a bridge my nice Conti town and country rear tire with a extra thick thorn tube went flat really fast. Took about 30 or 40 feet to come to a wobbly stop from a top speed of 30 mph. The culprit was a 1.5" staple [the thin air gun type]. Tried to fix but the staple went through the tube multiple times [top,bottom and all sides of the tube] while rolling to a stop.Patches nor slime worked. Found a home owner that let me chain up the bike before walking 6 miles. Mile seven a nice guy offered me a ride home. Went back in my Van to collect bike. My feet have blisters.:cry::cry::cry:

I ride the town and country 26x2.1. They're nice treads. I think after hearing this story I'll invest in some tire liners. Sorry you had a less than pleasurable experience over the weekend.

Carry a spare tube for longer trips...even if it's the thinner non thorn-resistant tube it's better than nothing.
Bulletproof your tyres first but still carry a spare tube.

you can do all you want to your tire and tube but the fact of the matter is, if something sharp gets stuck in your tire, you ARE going to have a flat. I always carry a spare tube now. The one time I rode without one I had a flat and I knew before I left that I should get a spare tube, yet I did not do it and I got a flat. I'm glad me bro CrazyGringo was with me, he rode to my house and got my spare tube and rode back.

flat story

Yep I should of had a spare with me. Oh well live and learn. I have no relatives locally but did make a phone call to some elderly friends [just to talk to]. They did offer to help but I told them not to even think about driving 40+ miles into rural area that they were not familiar with. I have used tuffy tire liners in the past and I think even Mr Tuffy would not have survived Mr Staple. On the bright side It was a beautiful day.Not to hot and thanks to the nice guy that gave me a lift home. Now ---How bout some suggestions for a tool kit carry box.pouch etc etc. My present one hangs from the back of the seat.Works ok for small stuff. I am looking for something that will fit on the other side of the rear wheel .If ya'll have seen my bike[attached pics] I would like something that would mirror my gas tank,made out of tough pastic,big enough to carry tools ,spare tube patch kit and my small topeak pump:D

Attachments

• My Staton Motored Bike 001.jpg
    My Staton Motored Bike 001.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 278
  • My Staton Motored Bike 004.jpg
    My Staton Motored Bike 004.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 303
memphis

you can do all you want to your tire and tube but the fact of the matter is, if something sharp gets stuck in your tire, you ARE going to have a flat. I always carry a spare tube now. The one time I rode without one I had a flat and I knew before I left that I should get a spare tube, yet I did not do it and I got a flat. I'm glad me bro CrazyGringo was with me, he rode to my house and got my spare tube and rode back.

Hey Nunya. I grew up in Mid town now out in Millington. My flat story trip took me from Millington to quince and Lynn field close to St Francis Hospital and back through midtown,downtown and out second st then out Watkins crossing the loosahatcie flat tire area and home. 70 + - miles round trip:cool:

Yep I should of had a spare with me.
I have used tuffy tire liners in the past and I think even Mr Tuffy would not have survived Mr Staple.

yes - even after having a flat (on the rear)
still riding without an extra tube
guess that 3 or 4 mile walk to the bicycle shop was not long enough !!!
wait intil next time Muntainman !!!

I did get some tire liners added while there
but - as you say
when Mr Staple comes along
not sure if anything is going to work

some simple tools carried -- one tube -- small pump
we are looking at a new thread here MB riders

as we ride that thing Mountainman

I had 3 flats in one day !! Darn " Sandspurs !" Carry a spare tube, quick patches, CO2 pump.

Back