A walkaround and short ride on buzzbike

20230813_135857.jpg

20230813_135929.jpg

20230813_140006.jpg

Some new pictures, and a short tour of budget build fitment.

First, the bike, $20 at goodwill.

Rear wheel from a $42 Diamondback in great condition (it goes back soon).

BMX bars, RST forks Avid BB7 disc, a double-wall wheel deore hub, and a new hookworm from a $50 scrap deal.

Everything else retail. 🤬

Including the STL Cardinal bat on the bars. I was hosting an engineer from Japan, we hit the sights of St Louis.
We went into a Cardinals gift shop.

He pucks up stuff, puts it down, then again and again, I ask what's wrong, he grabs a gift flips it yells 'hong kong!" grabs another, "Taiwan! I can get this stuff at home this no gift!"

So I grab two bats.
"Here.
Louisville Slugger.
Made in Kentucky. That good?"

Got me a bat too.

Later that weekend we got pulled over in IL doing 88 in a 65.
Told him "woo you get real American experience we go to jail."
His eyes got bigger and rounder than mine.
🤣🤣🤣

From today's ride. I used a disabled (i.e. disposable) smartphone on a handlebar mount. Surprised it works well. Better than that go-pro wannabe I got.
Gonna do that again.

Next time its fatbike riding the honky tonks. For today its brap brap in six speed glory...@48cc.

Great video even for a cellphone mount job. Everything I saw was done right. Stopping for STOP signs, Lane Control, and a pre-ride walk around.

I love the buzzbike. Something about shoehorning the engine and having the patience to solve the shift kit's tension problems that make it so cool.
Shoehorning is about right! Originally I only put it on that bike to test it before I moved it to a longbike. But it was too big for longbike so that plan was out.
I couldn’t run a sprocket on it and make the chainline work so it had to be jackshafted. The carb wouldn’t fit. First 300 miles I twisted mounts chewed a derailleur blew a top end with a broken clip, hated the janky offset adapter, the poopoo pipe overheated it, and the 21T drive sprocket was chewed up by a cheap chain, and a few strikes from the shaft crawling out under twist.

That’s how ya learn I guess. New engine custom 90 degree intake, welded stiffener plates standoffs and clamshell rear mounts on the jack shaft bracket (no shims or spacers) modified tensioners, new shaft with concave dimples to cup set screws in exact position, both sprockets double set screw and captured with shaft collars, PGN bearings, expansion pipe, upgraded ignition module and coil (a huge improvement over a CDI), and a custom 6-speed cassette to improve chain line.

No loose or bent parts in 800 miles.
Except handlebars, I wheelies off my hilltop, and took air.
We didn’t land together.
Woops.