Clutch Abnormally loud gear noise (w/video) please help dont want to cause problem

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by midnightrider, Jul 29, 2014.

1. midnightrider

midnightrider New Member

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So I bought my engine a week ago and it was running great went for a long bike ride and everything then today (5 days later) I had no spark i then found it to be the ground wasnt connected at times b/c of vibrations so i fixed it and it worked fine only now i heard a very very loud ticking noise coming from the clutch and ik everyone says its just the gear noise but its very loud, louder than the engine louder than before when i went for my long bike ride ive looked at many many things and i even put cardboard inside the cover still very loud Ive attached a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70B...ature=youtu.be ) of the sound its making listen when it gets to the clutch side for the ticking noise, the noise seems to stop or slow down quite a bit when i pull in the clutch but i did not include that in the video. RIDES GREAT THOUGH NO OTHER PROBLEMS AT ALL JUST TRYING TO PREVENT ANY OTHER ONES
    Thank You so much and i am very happy to be a member of this forum
    MR

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

look inside clutch cover for rub marks - also check chain run and inside drive cover for marks

midnightrider likes this.
  3. midnightrider

midnightrider New Member

where is the chain run and inside drive cover, also did you watch the video? its crazy loud thanks for the help so far tho

4. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

this 'puter can't do that vid - chain run is from rear sprocket to front sprocket and rubbing there can echo inside the case - drive cover and clutch cover are on each side of bike, take them off and look to see if there are marks in there

midnightrider likes this.
  5. midnightrider

midnightrider New Member

Ill definatly check that out but definatly find a way to hear that video cuz the sound is deafening

6. midnightrider

midnightrider New Member

but actually now that i think about it the noise slows a tremendous amount when i pull the clutch in and after i have the clutch in for more than 5sec its just about gone

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

definitely sounds like chain thrash then, adjust your tensioner

8. midnightrider

midnightrider New Member

It was thank you so much

9. willie634

willie634 New Member

I get ticking too. I have noticed wear when i take chain cover off of engine. Chain rubs against crankcase closet to magneto.

Id like to take grinder and take some material off for more clearance.

I have modified mine, but sometimes chain woild rub on motor mount plate at rear.