Absurd Speed Humps

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The way the government keeps mindlessly banging away at reducing speed limits to solve all of the worlds problems, they might as well pave every road and freeway with these speed humps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

reminds me of when I rode my Honda XLR 250 from Costa Rica to Panama. In Panama there is a long section of dirt road that was nothing but naturally evolved speed bumps. I just cranked the throttle and skimmed on top of them. the bike had great suspension. meanwhile the cars just slowly endured the banging and swaying. It was one of my greatest "I hate cars and for good reason" moments

3. lazylightning@mail.r

lazylightning@mail.r Active Member

Wow! Is that in Australia? I love driving around traffic jams across grassy park lawns and between trees and stuff. Usually I go as fast as I can to jump the speed bumps, but alas, I think I would have mercy on my rims here.....

4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

im with the last two posts...bikes are great!

a certain road with a speed hump every twenty metres...just plant it and get the 200kg+ of bike off the ground :) id attempt to clear ALL of those ones in that vid :)

theres a trick in a car though...hit the anchors just as the front wheels hit. then plant it just as the rears hit. its like the bumps just vanished :)

i even used to hit one in a 10 tonne hyster forklift and get all its wheels off the ground :mad5:

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now that would be impressive to see.

6. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

if it hadnt had pneumatic tyres, it would have been freaking painful!

i do miss driving a fork :( been so long since i was a yard-a$$ in a hardware...

watching bags of concrete fall from 6 metres gives you just enough time to cover your nose and mouth with your shirt :jester:

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-SPLAT!

oh, and the crane :) they didnt have enough use for it to get my a license for that thing. never known any other diesel that would roll start so easily :eek: took skill to drop a pack of timber exactly where wanted...(well, not exactly...i wanted it on the bosses car but i sort of valued my job so in the timber rack was the next best thing...)

7. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Those speed bumps are designed to put high speeders to a dead stop, and I support that. Every tool box needs a hammer, and this is the metaphorical hammer designed to stop high speeders. The people going 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit still have enough time to slow down IF they are paying attention. If they aren't, they deserve it. The people going 20, 30, 40, 50 miles over the limit will almost certainly total their vehicles on those bumps, and maybe they'll learn not to do it again. People are stupid and do the same things repeatedly until they learn not to. Serious crimes call for serious preventive measures. When it's your kids, wife, grandmother, or even yourself crossing the street when some idiot comes barreling through at 100mph, you'll thank the government for putting those bumps there.

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Speed bumps are interesting.

Not that i would ever do such a thing, but if the transmission were to be placed into 2nd gear and the brakes slammed on moments before hitting the speed bump (compressing the front suspension) then smashing your foot on the accelerator (gas pedal to some) you could use the speed bump as an advantage, helping the front end of the car to get airborne over the speed bump/s, which also assists the rear end of the car to get airborne.

This technique could work especially well with small cars and their short wheelbase.

Now i never said that i would do anything like that. It's nothing more than technical speculation :whistling:

9. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

BB, so then you are all in favor of every street inside a town to have speed bumps? going to the grocery store and back you'd have to negociate hundeds of bumps. great solution! (not)

all things in moderation. I have no objection to bumps in front of schools, nursery homes, hospitals, etc but not everywhere else

10. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinions are often not widely considered popular, and if you haven't realized by now, I simply do not care. I've been ridiculed, harassed, threatened, etc and yet my opinions still do not change. In fact, I believe more firmly now in who I am and what I stand for than I ever have in my life. I'm just the same as I was. If that bothers anyone here, that's not my problem.

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Everyone has the right to suck on a dummy and sit in a corner all by themselves.

12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

reasonable speed bumps are great but if I saw something like this I'd probably have to turn around. out of all the modes of transportation I have access to, the only one that could possibly navigate this isn't street legal.

13. troyg

troyg Member

I thought we weren't supposed to talk religion here.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Fabian likes this.