Ack! I whacked my Robin Subaru

S

sabala

I finaly got a bike for my gebe and as I was setting up the engine on the mount it slipped and hit the ground.

Landed on the aircleaner cover. Looked ok at first but I checked closer and it looks like the air cleaner plate cracked and broke into some pieces.

Looks like it's just the plastic that has damage. I'm wondering if just super gluing the bits back together will work just fine or would it be better to try and replace it?

I'm not mechanically inclined in any way so I'm a little unsure of what I should do here.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Superglue is at best a very temporary fix, if a fix at all.

If you have all of the pieces, put it together carefully, and before doing anything else, make ab pattern from it. I'm pretty sure that the part can be odered for a few bucks.

You should be able to get the part fairly easily from either the supplier of the kit or some other source - alot of gardening supplies places will carry that type of engine and will be able to order it in if they dont have it in stock.

Jemma xx

Heh, yeah, after (almost) gluing it all back together I can tell now I'll get a new part. I also found a couple places fairly close to get one. Thanks folks!

Youd be surprised how much you can save with a two part glue or epoxy. 1 part glues are useless.

That's for sure - once tested - super glue and others - out --- two part epoxys - next best thing to welding - in... There's the 5 min set up time epoxy for fast jobs - (sets up in 5 min - not cured). The overnight dry time epoxy may be the strongest ? Been using epoxy for over 40 years now - pretty darn amazing stuff !!! Two favorite brands are - JB Weld and Loc-Tight.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Well, I called the regional distributer to find a service & parts shop & ended up just ordering a new part from them and got it today, the shops listed on the website, (within 20 miles) aren't R/S service centers anymore I guess.

Is there any trick to getting those hoses off, (or on) from the old part? The manual says use a small screwdriver but I guess I'm a little afraid of tearing it and having to order again!

I'm probably just being tentative since I haven't worked with these before...

Oh, but I still picked up some J.B Weld for any future needs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm back unfortunately with with a new problem. Put gas & oil in and took my gebe out for it's first test ride today and...no start. Tried different choke positions, 1/2 and full open, made sure switch was "on" and still no luck, took her back inside.

I pulled the spark plug and saw it was not "wet" with any gasoline. I also noticed it seems the primer pump isn't sucking up fuel into the carb, (I think that's what it's supposed to do right?) if it's the clear yellow hose.

I take the gas cap off and looking inside, when I press the primer I do see bubbles coming out of the hose in the gas but don't see any go up the hose...if I'm supposed to see it go up, ( not sure). Do I just keep pressing that primer until I see something happening?

Any ideas what I should try next or anything else that could be wrong? I'm a little unsure where to go from here.

-Still waiting to ride :cry:

Back