ADD/ADHD are BS pharma excuses to sling speed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by troyg, Aug 4, 2015.

1. troyg

troyg Member

Having discussions with another "nameless" member, I notice any time his brain has an obvious fart, he breaks out the "I have ADD" badge, absolving him from any possibility that it could be him, and not "forces" making him perform below par.
    It's my (and many Dr.'s) opinion that the two are made up to sell legal meth to the masses.I don't know if anyone here has speed-freak friends, but if you do they can tell you, meth is meth, take it long enough and you WILL have a mental condition.You cannot take any hard drug every day (let alone every week) and expect to have a proper working brain/body.
    The following link is long but quite informative:
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-speed-of-hypocrisy-how-america-got-hooked-on-legal-meth
    Again, keep your feathers on "my opinion".

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

ADD is attention deficit disorder.
    In other words it is an appropriate label for someone deficient in the ability to maintain prolonged attention on any one thing. My son has it and I will not put him on any drugs.
    It got worse after I got him a computer so now I hardly ever let him use it.
    To say it is a "made up" disability is a narrow minded negation of something very obvious in our technological and chemicalized culture.
    The medical system does try to take advantage at every opportunity but that doesn't mean diseases and disabilities don't exist.

3. troyg

troyg Member

Have you ever done the proper "carrot and stick" with your son? Meaning, you reward him for what is considered "proper" behavior, and beat the snot out of him for the reverse.I'm old, but remember plenty of kids in school, who "couldn't concentrate", the teach would beat their a.s.s.e.s and "it's a miracle!" they could instantly concentrate.I believe it exsists, but is as rare as the thyroid/glandular problem all the fats use as an excuse.My opinion, 99% are parents who are ill prepared to raise a child, and want a medical excuse why it's so overwhelming for them, then those kids grow up with little sense of personal responsibility, breed themselves, cycling on and down.
    At least you're not putting you kid on legal speed.

4. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

sure, any kid can be made to pay attention more if he knows that not doing so puts him at risk of bodily harm.
    What you saw was not just spoiled rotten kids but control by fear. Not a good solution.
    I admit, there are kids without a true problem other than attitude. But there are also kids with a true problem.
    You don't think that exposure to thousands of environmental chemicals can't have an effect on our brains?
    Come on man, get real. Add to that constant exposure to artificial light and emf waves from communications (TV, radio, cell phone).
    I'm amazed that some of us have enough cellular "toughness" to not be altered by it all.

5. troyg

troyg Member

First, thanks for the civil discourse (no sarcasm), I love debating.All Societies are based on fear/carrot/stick,... no?If you don't teach them young, someone may with a club, gun, or prison when they grow.What "environmental chemicals" are there now, that weren't in the 50's 60's 70's, maybe thicker smog. EMF's are getting into "collidal silver AKA hokum" territory.Cell phones are a choice, so that would come into "child rearing", if it's bad, then it's up to the parent to correct it.
    How do you know what you know, other than having a son who's been "diagnosed"?

6. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

I'm 57 now and at 23 I had to quit my job and move back home with my parents due to multiple health problems.
    Then I started studying and practicing the many suggestions in books. By trial and error and much study I became somewhat of a health expert. When I was 46 my health was so good that I was beating 20 year olds at motocross.
    There's a positive and negative way to teach the young anything. Bad children that obey (due to fear) later become the biggest rebels ever as a "delayed effect". Right now my son is dallying away his time without the video games on his computer which is what he really wants to be doing. He's being denied because he refuses to read a book (to improve his horrible reading skills). I could just beat the **** out of him but I don't think that solves anything. I've told him that if he is smart enough that one day he would inherit my online business. If not then he can be one of the street beggars because I won't support him when he is of working age. It's his choice. Sometimes kids grow out of their wayward ways, sometimes not. I'm just not a fan of violence against children.

7. troyg

troyg Member

I'm not a fan of violence against anybody, regardless of age.There is angry violence, and there is corrective "loving" violence.Would you rather them learn with a swat to the behind, or a bludgeon/gun when they're older, thinking they can get away with the nonsense with anyone.There will always be varibles within any system, test the limits and man's law won't meet up with "real" law, meaning you can call the cops if someone blows someone's head off, but it won't put their brains/skull back together.

8. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Once when about 12 years old I was almost involved in a group fight right in front of my house. My mom saw us and asked my dad to do something about it. He said "No, let him get his arm broke and he'll learn.". I like that. I consider that incident one of the wisest of my dad. Everyone is presented with situations we can learn from. My son can choose to learn the benefits of studying hard and getting good grades and reaping the rewards or he can learn how to be content with nothing which will be his adult life as an uneducated person. It is his life and his choice. He is half latino so half his genes are telling him that life is more comfortable without goals and ambitions. I can't fight his "lazy" genes. He can listen to his latino genes or his gringo genes. I am also half latino/gringo and I chose to study and work hard in order to live well.

9. troyg

troyg Member

I'm "Buleo" (mexican oreo) myself, it's not just genes that make/allow laziness, it mostly rearing.That was racist even for a buleo.12 is already past the point of "getting them" 3 to 5 is the age where most of your influence resides.

10. butre

butre Well-Known Member

The carrot is great, but all the stick teaches you is to not get caught. In my opinion the only thing that can teach you about the real world is the real world.

11. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

the best adapt and succeed. You cant make any one succeed, no matter how much you threaten them.
    Everyone evens out to the level they should be at. That makes sense to me and gives me confidence in life that there is a basic fairness to it (with many exceptions, I know). Life is both order and chaos, environment and genetics.

12. troyg

troyg Member

Though it may seem twisted, I believe we are of like minds here, I would say an a.s.s. whipping from the folks is as real world as falling off a slide.If you mess with someone who can crush your bones, you may get your bones crushed, even if it be your father (overstated for effect).And the "just teaches you to not get caught" is one of the best things you can learn, lying with a straight face can save your life.

13. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

My first instinct after reading this was to get upset. While I have several thoughts on the matter, I just looked over at my kitty cat curled up in my lap and reached down to pet him and I realized, its not worth starting another argument. Maybe ADD is real, maybe it's made up. Maybe it's just an excuse I use. But you're going to judge me either way and you know what? That's OK because the judgments of others only have power over us if we let them, and this time I'm not letting it. So judge all you want.

14. butterbean

No matter how much you threaten, beat, criticize, judge, ridicule, bully or belittle someone, you cannot make them respect you or care what you think, and as was stated before, if the person is afraid, they will only comply out of fear. That gives you power and control, nothing more. I thank God that I was beat up a lot as a kid, because now I'm not afraid anymore and no one can make me do anything. I do the things I do because I choose to do them.

15. troyg

troyg Member

Correcting a child has nothing to do with bullying, it has to do with concern for their well-being later in life, you don't threaten a child, you make conditions that they have to live by, if they mess up you "follow through", that's "promises" followed by "enforcement", threats without enforcement are meaningless words, words cannot/do-not hurt, if anything they make you stronger.There are angry beatings, and there are loving beatings, so they don't get killed later.Since you don't do anything unless you get paid for it, I gather you'll be great at rearing a good citizen, god help us all.

16. troyg

troyg Member

Funny, I went out of my way not to name you, but you did it yourself, oh well.

17. butterbean

First let me say this post is not to be argumentative or get personal as I believe our issues have been settled. I want to contribute to this discussion. First, I don't have kids or want them. My wife has a condition that will make it very difficult for her to get pregnant, and I'm thankful for that. I love my nieces and nephews and I think they're great kids, but most other kids just annoy the **** out of me. Secondly, I never said I don't do anything without getting paid, I said I don't follow rules unless I'm paid to. Again, not arguing, just pointing out what I actually said. Now as far as the difference between a loving beating and an angry beating, yes I agree but I've gotten both and at the time, both hurt. I mentioned earlier in the other thread about what my brother did to me. Well, he was not the only one. My mom also abused me. I used to get spanked with a very big wooden paddle that was at least an inch thick, maybe more. That's not abusive I guess, but it hurt like an sob and left black and blue marks. So when I wouldn't turn around to get spanked anymore, my mom started hitting me on my legs with it. She also hit me with pieces of wooden porch railing, leather belts, metal hangers, extension cords, and I probably don't remember what else. And not on my butt. Anywhere on my body that she could. I do not consider that loving discipline. But I'm glad for it because I survived it, and now I know I can handle physical pain and violence. I'm thankful because the things I went through made me strong. But I see both sides of the coin here. When I did something bad. I was physically disciplined. But never once was it explained to me why I had to be disciplined, or why what I did was wrong. Neither was I ever rewarded for good behavior. I never got the carrot, only the stick.

18. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

yeah you are tougher now but there are better ways to get tough other than being abused. Certain sports for example. (motocross is very physically abusive)
    The appropriate response to parental abuse is anger.

19. butterbean

Can't stay angry forever, its not healthy. I was angry for a very long time and only recently decided to let it go and its helped me a lot. Sure there are other ways to get tough, but the things I went through made me tough and there is no reason I shouldn't be glad that I'm tough, no matter how I came to be.

20. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

I disagree. yes you should be glad you're tough but you should of held onto your anger until you expressed it to the guilty parties. then you could let go of it. as it is you've had no reasonable resolution.