Adelaide Hills to Beach Ride

Discussion in 'Races, Events & Group Rides' started by schulze 123, Dec 27, 2010.

1. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

Hi Troops,
    Another motor bicycle rider and I are going on a small journey tomorrow starting from Magill and heading north till we hit the Torrens River. We will then travel up stream along the Linear Park track to the very top and then turn around to follow it all the way to the sea.

Will have lunch at Henley Beach, then head back up stream to Magill. Should be a nice days outing, might catch a few other Adelaide riders if your out and about.

Cheers BJ

2. Didz

Didz Member

Sounds great. I want to ride along linear park with my new mb.

I'm guessing your planing it for Tuesday the 28th? I could meet along the trail somewhere, I live near the beach.

My only problem unfortunately is I'm at work (right now) till very late so ill probably be sleeping in and wont wake up till past lunch!

3. Didz

Didz Member

Wow leaving work at 3am :(

4. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

Hi Didz,
    Working late like that is a bit of a drag but money doesn't grow on trees. If you are up and about, we should be at Henley Square at around 1.00-1.30pm.

Cheers BJ

5. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

Hi,
    The ride today did not go quite according to plan, after completing about 1/3 of the journey my normally silky smooth and ever reliable motor started to vibrate badly and make some not so pleasent noises. The decision was made to head back while I still had a functioning motor to assist with hills. Strange thing is that the motor still developed good power and torque, will get to the bottom of the mystery when it is stripped down.

Cheers BJ

6. Didz

Didz Member

I changed my oil and set off. I went along the beach and then linear park to the city where I stopped for a while. My petrol tank was loose and kept falling upside down which would kink the fuel hose and stop flow to the motor.

Afterwards I went to a friends place in the city. I left the tap on accidentally and the fuel line split. Half a tank of petrol went all over the motor and the concrete floor of a stairway and stunk out the whole building!

We were able to find some hose to replace with and ride to the nearby servo with the little petrol left in the filter and the feed. Only cost $2.50 to fill the tank.

Rode home later along the Torrens and beach again, Henley Square was so packed!

I got a lot of people turning their heads and smiles the whole day.

I think I go for another ride today, great weather :D

7. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

Hi,
    I have borrowed my friends spare motor and fitted it to my bike so we will have a 'Take Two' of our Hills to Beach run on new years day in the morning.

Cheers BJ

8. Didz

Didz Member

I will be busy then.

9. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

The Hills to Beach ride was completed today without any issues, a total journey distance of 83.4kms and enough fuel left in the tank for about another 10-15kms. Despite being New Years Day there were alot of cyclists and walkers on the trail but I did not see any other Motor Bicycles, may you were all resting.
    Excellent ride.

Cheers BJ

10. Didz

Didz Member

I rode mine into the city last night and watched the fireworks on the bridge from the entertainment centre with friends. It was great to zip around the city quickly too.

A friend and I also had a ride around the city around 1am. The whole night I had a lot of people looking, cheering and so on, it actually happens a lot.

When the sun rose I rode home, after waking up I rode to work and ran out of fuel not too far and had to peddle which isn't hard anyway.

Its amazing how slow Adelaide drivers are on main roads, I pass cars doing 45-50km/h when its a 60 zone and my computer is set correctly. I passed one last night and I passed one today just before stopping at the lights just as the petrol ran out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011