adult 3 wheel bicycle, GEBE or friction drive Help ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by gaylin, May 10, 2007.

1. gaylin

gaylin Guest

:grin: I bought myself a TrailMate adult 3 wheel bike last year, I can ride it alright as long as I'm on FLAT ground. I want to buy a "motor" for some PA. I looked on ebay first, as well as the Internet. Which confused me. A buyer on ebay suggested I ask here if anyone has put a motor on one of these bikes?
    What kind do I get, where do I buy, and where can I get a "senior discount for a grandma?"
    Thanks, Gaylin

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

hi gaylin, welcome to MBc 8)

let's start here (& prepare yourself for a ton of suggestions after you answer)...gas, electric, or don't know yet?

oh yeah...which model trike do you have?
  3. gaylin

gaylin Guest

my bike style

I have a Tailmate EZ Roll Regal. I thought gas would be cheaper than electric. Some of the sites I've looked at, the electric motors were very costly. thanks for your help. Gaylin
  4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

ok, here it is...let's get this party started :D

5. gaylin

gaylin Guest

thats it!! Mine is purple and I have a white basket on the back, I also paid extra for fenders. whats next?
  6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Welcome to MBc.

I'm working on a motored trike. I don't know if my idea is appropriate for your trike. [​IMG]

here's a sweet electric powered trike...

there's a wealth of knowledge & experience here. someone will chime in...
  8. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

If it were mine, I would install a friction drive motor to the front wheel. Several manufactures make the complete kit. Do a search for " Bicycle motors", then find a dealer which sells a friction drive for front wheel. " Staton" is one I know of. I would opt for one with a clutch as well, where engine would be running while sitting still. I have an old Orline/Ohllson & Rice that runs on my front wheel & can easily adapt to 3 wheeler as well.
  9. azbill

azbill Active Member

it would also help to know what you plan on using the bike for...local corner store runs, or longer rides
    (electric has range limits,gas is more technical and tends to need tinkering)
  10. gaylin

gaylin Guest

my 3 wheel bicycle

I use the bike for fun & trips to the store. Nothing major. We live in the Ozarks (to many hills) so I found quickly to plan my route.
    With gas prices out of control I want to use the bike more.
    My husband mentioned the front wheel type system. Yesterday someone mentioned to me about the engine and "strokes"?? 2 & 4 ??
    I'll look to you guys for my help !!! thanks, Gaylin
  11. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

The 2 stoke usually provides more power for its size, than a 4. But the newer 4 strokes, are nice && no smoke coming back into your face, & much less noise. A nice Honda, or Robin-Subaru would make me happy.
  12. SpeedyG

SpeedyG Guest

I think the main concern between 2 stokes and 4 strokes in this case is that you have to mix special gas for the 2 stroke and the 4 stroke runs on what comes out of the pump.

Definately think about a 4 stroke for convenience. It might be a bit loud mounted in front but I know there are muffler options out there...

As far as the GEBE stuff is concerned, I would suggest calling them. They have definately done this before and they are super friendly.
  13. gaylin

gaylin Guest

What is GEBE ?? I don't think I would mind having to mix the oil/gas for the 2 stroke. AND... I'm not looking to go 30-40mph.. I don't think my 3 wheeler and I would survive :sad: I simply need help going up the hills. As well as going across town, I wouldn't wear myself out.
    I've looked on ebay. I just get confused. I would like to know where to buy.. You all seem to know whats best AND where/what to AVOID.
    Thanks Gaylin.
  14. azbill

azbill Active Member

gebe = Golden Eagle Bicycle Engines
    probably the best solution for you...
    gebe has very good rep for customer service,
    the engine is 4stroke so no mixing,
    can be front mounted for your trike,
    4strokes have better reputation for reliability and longevity
    8) 8) 8)
  15. azbill

azbill Active Member

oh, and by the way... I don't particularly like rack mounts just for their looks, but I thought it was what served your purpose best . :)
  16. gaylin

gaylin Guest

I've looked at the site, thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted. Has anyone out there put an engine on their 3 wheeler?
  17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

19. thomasready

thomasready New Member

I've seen them on youtube can be done.
  20. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

bringing up 6 year old threads is frowned on