Advantages/Disadvantages of having a motorized bicycle

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tom, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

Advantages:
    No insurance cost
    100MPG
    No registration fees
    You can't get moving violations (I think) so I will roll through stop signs and pass red lights (if its safe)
    Way easier than pedaling
    I can eat a huge meal then ride uphill to class without fealing sick
    Cheaper than any car/motorcycle
    Free parking right in front of where you want to be
    Can strap it to the back of a car
    Easy to work on
    Easy to maintain

Disadvantages:
    Everyone looks at me like I am riding some kind of alien spaceship.
    Drivers don't see you...

Anyone else add to the list?

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

Advantages:
    -i have a motor vehicle i can love and work on that fits my budget.
    -i like the smell of fuel, & my hands are dirty again.
    -in my case, the whole community is 2 1/2 by 25 miles, i can go anywhere anytime...no more
    checking the (very limited) bus-schedule.
    -EVERYONE wants to stop me & talk about my motor'd-bike, and i only just got it on the road
    today. wutta great "ice-breaker."
    -we only have 2 cops up here.

Disadvantages:
    -same old biker's woe as always....you could have a 6ft orange flag on top of your helmet & a
    disco ball mounted where the sun don't shine, & some numbnut's still gonna say "i didn't see you."

3. advantage:

being able to walk outside and start moving to your destination, then when you get back you ride right back to your back door and inside your house 0 no looking for a parking spot for your car.

IT's FUN!!! with the wind in your face

disadvantages:

It's kind of loud

drivers turn infront of you because they don't think you could be going as fast as you are.

no heat

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

I bet you could rig something up so that it sucks air past the cooling fins and blows it onto your hands. Get some dryer duct from the hardware store and maybe a fan? That would be way cool

5. Cookie

Cookie Guest

Advantage :
    Saves $$$ and the price of gas is going to go up high

no matter how mad you are when you get on it when you get off you have a big grin on your face.

no one is a stranger everyone wants to talk to you.

Xmas shoping is going to be easy no fighting for a parking spot.

Dis advantage : no heater and other drivers

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

So true!

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, let's ask try1897 'bout veewee heater boxes, bet he could come up with sumthin' for us :wink:

8. Cookie

Cookie Guest

giggel factor

last yr I was riding my bike to a local store when this rolex harley rider started jazzen me about my bike an he wanted to race so I told him ok you drain your tank of gas and I will drain mine and we will both put in 1 cup of gas and race from here to Baton Rouge and back no pit stops for gas (about 20 miles ) the old bikers laughed and the kid backed down big giggle factor :lol:

Cookie

9. advantage being able to drive on the bike trail

disadvantage having to drive by all the old bikers with their harleys on the way home

10. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Advantage: with a big basket, you can haul a lot of small things, go get a paper/tube of caulk, and not pay the OIL tax, if you are saving $2 in gas to take a package to the post office, then you can consider the trip a victory.

Nowadays, if my car "moves", it has to "do something", like haul 150 pounds of dog food. But if coffee is on sale for $3.99, limit 2, I can make a run of 3 Family Dollar Stores in the area and buy 6 cans.

My main advantage is the Zen Meditations, especially on long runs, seeing so much more at 30 mph than zipping by at 60 in a car.

11. steveadicks

steveadicks Guest

advantages: Their fun and the cheapest motorized vehicle you can ride on rodes.

disadvantages: constant repairs. My sprocket broke almost all my spokes, and now I have to get them repaired.

12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Steve

Are you using regular spokes? Golden Eagle has a ring that snaps on the spokes, and early on I started changing the rear to 12 guage. Steel is about $30-35, and aluminum are around $45. Since making the switch, I haven't had any spoke problems.