Advice/Help On Selling My MB

thepassionneverdies

Local time
5:03 AM
I'm getting ready for college next year and with the way the economy is I haven't been able to find a job and would love to start selling MB for some extra money. I was thinking about selling it for $300 with the motor built in and since I can built them for around $240ish I make a $60 dollar profit now I am just figuring out where and how to sell them any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think that is a big enough mark-up to cover your costs & make a profit, too. If you are going to have $240 in a MB, completed, & want to sell it for $300,, you are cutting yourself might short. What about labor ? What about a little extra profit to cover the extra parts to replace the broken parts you may have with the cheap motor kits & bicycles ? Will you have a warranty ? Shipping costs ? Liability concerns ? Spare parts ? , etc. You may wind up having to get permits/licenses, etc. There are a few , here in Fl., that do that & sell the finished bike & kit for $395. You could sell some completed bikes for less, if you got the biks used.

Ive had both of my bikes for sale for 3 months now and all I get are looky lous enquiring about it. I really dont care if I sell or not but in order to build my next build I need to sell one of them. To me the prices are fair, on 1 $1200 invested and asking $600 its 2 years old now. The other have about $400 plus in it and asking $500. Both are great looking bikes and work flawlessly with lots of extras.......I dont know what the problem is about selling them. Maybe when GOOD weather hits my luck will change. One things for sure I wont give them away, Ill ride them till im old n gray LOL.......I think most folks who get into MABs at 1st are mostly tinkerers and want to build it themselves ???????????

Last edited:
I would seriously look into liability insurance first... or at least have a good lawyer draft a really good liability release form.

Just a hint of caution from the land of the lawyers and the lawsuit happy. All it takes is one faulty chain tensioner and a nasty accident... then you for sure wont have any college money.

A bad lawsuit is the #1 reason I dont want to build them for a living.

If you do build them.... I highly suggest using a better kit from GEBE or Staton that wont break... and then charge a little more. If you use the HT kits it will be nothing but trouble for you.

Last edited:
I'm looking into getting a waiver for them to sign clearing me of all responsibilities if something happens after they buy it I am just trying to figure out where to sell it at and how to advertise it. My friend put his on craiglist and so far no one has inquired about it and from my research it does not look people are selling them on ebay.

Are you planning on backing up what you sell? like if i buy a bike from you and i get it with broekn parts due to shipping...will you replace those parts for free?
so many times i hear of people buying engines or complete bikes that sustain damage during shipping and then the seller will not cover the damage..so the buyer ends up having to spend more $$ for replacement parts, and wait for them to arrive.

Agreed, $60 profit isn't worth your time and the potential headaches. Probably even less profit then you think. How many hours does it take you to build one? How many $ would you make an hour if you sell for that price? Will you make more then working at a fast food joint? Doubtfull...

I build my bikes for fun, to ride and to potentially sell. I do the best job I possibly can so that I and others feel safe on the thing. It takes me way too long to do it "right", I price the bike accordingly high because of that. I still make a lot less on it (per hour) then I make at my not so well paying regular job, but thats ok, it's a hobby. A high price at least keeps "kids" and other potentially non responsible people (ie lost drivers license etc) away. If sold I want the bike to get into the hands of somebody technically inclined who will ride it responsibly and do proper maintenance, understand that it is just a "chinese" kit and fix it himself without complaining when something brakes. If I don't sell it-great! I have another bike to ride around :)

There is an older motorized raleigh in the city not far from here that has been up for sale on kijiji for the last 2 months. It looks shoddy (ie slapped a motor on a old bike, thats it), guy wants $200 (canadian$) for it (went down from 300 a month ago), it is still for sale. These things don't exactly sell like hotcakes (not here anyway). I have thought about buying it just for the motor, but it's a 50cc and I prefer (and have good luck) with the 66's (80's).

Building it and adjusting the chain and everything I probably spent a good five hours on it and I would cover parts if it is shipped and something is broken if I could charge more mainly because I don't think I can make more than 300 on it. If you guys think 500 would be fair for a bike I would have no problem having buying protection and all that kind of stuff.

Very true...

The first guy who wipes out on some sand or gravel will say it was built wrong...

And then the cost of having extra parts... we are talking about an HT setup here, something will go wrong!

Back