advise on selling 196cc push trailer...

M

macarollo

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/bik/

I listed my motorized bike for sale on craigslist. There are two posts commenting on my bike (same guy) and they are both negative. I did go back and edit my listing after reading his comments.

I really enjoy it, but I would like to get my money out of it.

Obviously it is illegal to go 50mph on the streets, but my bike is capable of doing that.

FL law says legal mopeds must be 50cc or less, 2 HP, and not faster than 30mph.

How should I go about selling it? No DMV would register my push trailer. Should I change the gearing so it cannot go faster than 35 mph? Should I just tell people it is a recreational vehicle meant to be ridden on private property?

Here is the direct link to my post...
http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/bik/1069846618.html

Use the previous link to see the other guys postings....

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing I want is someone getting hurt on my machine that I sold them.

Best thing if you sell it is to have the buyer sign a paper or waiver you can write up saying At Own Risk and As Is. Have you received any responses on interested buyers? If so, and if they are serious, then make sure you have them sign a waiver and explain that it is off road only. They can do what ever they like with it on street or not. Being that your bike is made with nuts and bolts, I would make sure to use Blue lock tight on all bolts because you don't know if the buyer will maintenance it like you would.

Why are you selling?

No responses yet. My last MB I sold took me several weeks to sell.

I am selling for several reasons. I would like to get the money from it so I can spend it other ways. Now that I reached my 50mph goal, the thrill of riding it has gone down. I have a motorcycle as well that doesn't get ridden because I am riding this. Lastly, I am afraid of being stopped by the police... especially if I am going fast.

I like the waiver idea... I will definately do that.

After I finish my 6.5 trailer. I will most likely build one with a 2.5 and try to register that one for less worries. I can always use the 6.5 in a go kart for the kids.

List that it is for "off road use only"- what the buyer does with it is their problem.

Any idea what a good selling price would be?

I sold my HT 70cc kit in October for $400. Now I am asking firm $550. Should I ask more, less, or does that seem about right?

196cc bike pusher. 50mph top speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
that sums it up

FL law says 50cc or less, 2 HP, and not faster than 30mph.

No DMV would register my push trailer.

Should I change the gearing so it cannot go faster than 35 mph?

Should I just tell people it is to be ridden on private property?

seems to sum it up

it's illegal to be ridden on any public highway, road, sidewalk or property...

gearing has noting to do with it...

you are over both the cc and hp limit not only for your state but I think all states, countries ??

can not be registered for street use

call it out to the buyer just as it is
I would keep a copy of my ad stating -- for off road use
and not a bad idea to have buyer sign something -- ((((( buyer must be over 18....... )))))

a fair asking price -- what you have invested ( - 25% ) used and illegal

as they ride that pooolice catching THING

Last edited:
I would say ask what you paid for +25% depending on the condition of teh motor. Why -25%, you put alot of labor into it which most people would have no idea how to build. Doesn't hurt to ask and have the capacity to work down the price if you have to. If you get no responses then reduce the price in a week or 2 and try it again.

"Off-road use only", written waiver, over 18, those are all good to have. After that, who cares if they get stopped by the police, its on them and its their prerogative what they do and its up to them to do the research.

If your worried about the mechanics of the setup then just go through it and lock tight all the nuts and bolts and point out to the buyer what you have beefied up and any concerns about stability. Once they take it for a ride, im sure they will be hooked.

Don't sell it to a kid under 18. Parent can sue you if the kid gets in a wreck.

Back