All American Death Racer concept bike

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Chris Crew, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

If a trip to the bike shop tomorrow reveals that these wheels can have new spokes, and as long as I'm not desecrating a valuable classic, here's what might happen.

Any thoughts on the strength of the skip-link drive?

Attached Files:

2. Molotov256

Molotov256 Member

HahA! Nice. Please tell me you're serious about using Schlitz cans for your gas tank! That's awesome.

3. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

beer

do they still make that kind of beer?
    nice ride

4. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

Schlitz

They make it and I drink it.

I was considering using a piece of 2 1/2" pvc for the tank and heating it to get the slight bend required. I would cut the tops and bottoms out of the cans and just thread them onto the pipe.

5. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

tank

I like that idea let me know how it works out I am building a new ride and I need some tank ideas thank you
    Craig

6. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

nice! Talk about patina!

7. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

that's pretty cool...but gasoline will melt pvc pipe.

8. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

gasoline and PVC

I suspected that too, but a couple of other guys on the site said they used pvc without any trouble.

Any other recommendations for material?

I would just solder one up out of copper sheet, but what I have in mind would be a very difficult shape--not a cylinder, but longer on one side sort of like a banna.

9. DJEEPER

DJEEPER Member

ABS plastic pipe?

its stronger and more durable...wont sun rot as easy, and i think it is able to carry slightly corrosive liquids...

10. neicull

neicull Member

That's awesome.

11. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

why thank you, yours aren't bad either

12. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Member

LOL..... Nice mock-up. I like the screw-driver holding the head on the engine. What bike is that? I've seen a Higgin's recently go for $1500 fully restored. If that bike is comparable, which I think it is, it could go for over $250 in it's current state.

13. bobby-brazil

bobby-brazil New Member

you may have to coat the inside of a pvc tank

14. bigkat650

bigkat650 Member

hahaha who remembers the old School Schlitz jingle??

'Drink Schlitz, nothing else comes near... when your out of Schlitz, your out of beer!'

hahahahahaha I should be too young to know this lol

15. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

jtmiyake--see my other post 39-41 Cleveland Welding. . .

I put some picture up on TheCabe antique bike site and they say in current condition about $150-250. The chainguard has been deemed not original, not sure about the side stand (what regular guys call a kickstand) and the paint is not original.

While I do have plans for the bike, I really bought it for the saddle and if you are interested, it could be for sale. Otherwise, it is #2 on the list after a build for my son on a mt bike frame. If I don't sell the whole kit, I will certainly part it out and sell the pieces I don't use. Let me know if you are interested.

16. fow-aire

fow-aire New Member

dude, i am prety sure your bike is pre-war model (sic)!that skip link chain is a dead give-a-way.had customer come in bike shop missing chain.new replacement cost over 150.00$I sold him a good quality used skip link for 20.00$,not a bad deal for 50 year + chain1

17. Just printed a pic for wall in my office! Thanks.

18. perichbrothers

perichbrothers New Member

That thing is going to be cool.
    That's a neat frame,
    usually the straight downtube means before 1939, curved after.
    The skiptooth should be strong enough,
    as long as the rear hub stops good!
    (and the rear gear goes over the hub easily)
    Usually those bikes are stripped and the parts put on higher end bikes,
    since original rims and stuff are hard to find in nice shape.

Whatever you do it looks like you won't ruin or devalue it,
    it will definitely be cooler than the typical stock kit cantilever frame.

TP

19. Wheels

I have Sets of Heavy Duty Wheels hanging up in the shop I sell to Washington and Oregon Customers. Id save them Originals for when it really counts.

20. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

new pics of the death racer sporting its gallon size tank on the picture thread