Tires All White 26x2.125 tires

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by HoughMade, Oct 17, 2007.

1. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I am looking for all white (not whitewall) "balloon" street tires in the size 26x2.125.

I have seen Schwalbe tires at $77.00+ and Coker at...gulp...over $140. However, months ago, I saw some on eBay for closer to $40- but I cannot find them now.

Anyone know where I can look? Ivory or cream may work as well.

Thanks.

2. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

3. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Excellent- I just ordered them.

The people on this forum are first rate!

4. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

Okey-dokey

Want to see a pic of them in use, natch!

5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Of Course

6. DougC

DougC Guest

The Coker white tires won't fit on modern bicycle rims at all, I emailed them and asked. They are all made for vintage sizes of rims, and whatever we're using for 26" now isn't vintage enough I guess.

The ones at Nashbar are Kendas but nobody else seems to have them now, I've seen them at one other lowrider site for $80 each.....

Felt bicycles has some cream ones but they're dealer-only sales, no online ordering.
    ~

7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

If I remember correctly (big if)- bicycle rims are measured on the diameter of the rim and the "standard" sized tire- or at least what the standard tire was when the sizing was started. I believe with a 26" bike, it would be about a 2" wide tire. In other words, 26" refers to the height from the ground to the top of the tire.

I believe motorcycles size rims on the basis of the actual size of the rime so that a rim sized at 26" would be 26" without tire- meaning it is a bit larger than a bicycle 26" rim which is 26" including the tire.

8. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Houghmade, I believe the biggest differences with the old and new 26"'s tires, are the beads. Some have a just tuck and others have the metal band bead.
    Not for sure but you might want to check.
    Doc

9. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Well, on my "little" project- I have standard cruiser bicycle rims and I found standard bicycle tires- so I should be OK.

I know there is an issue with the beads- you are right.

10. DougC

DougC Guest

The Kenda tires are only rated for 40 PSI, they are a rather thin carcass and not made real well.

It is a bummer nobody else is making all-whites. Cheng Shin has a black button-tread, I wanted to ask them about making some "retro" colors (white, cream and brick) but the website is in Chinese, I can't make much sense of it.

The Schwalbe Fat Franks look nice in gumwall, ya just gotta sand off the dang stuff they print on the sides.
    ~

11. DougC

DougC Guest

I have lost the email that Coker returned--but I asked if the 26" x 2.5" tires would fit on 26" bicycle wheels, and they said no, that the 26" tires were 26" tall overall but that they were for 21" diameter rims, and 26" bicycle rims measure about 22.5" diameter.
    ~

12. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest