Alone in Birmingham

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kerf, Dec 4, 2007.

1. kerf

kerf Guest

I really love riding my bike but it gets a little lonely down here. The motorcycle riders all wave as they blow me off the road and my local bicycle shop suggested I use the back door when I need parts. I made the mistake of mentioning my motor once, while getting some broken spokes fixed. Acted like I was a leper or worse. I just know there are other Bama riders out there, send me an email and we'll see about a ride sometime. Please hurry, the neighbors all think I'm a nut job. Wrap your head in aluminum foil once and they never let you live it down.

2. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I used to live in L.A. (Lower Alabama) in a couple of small towns. Evergreen, Chapman and Union Camp. Everyone down there made fun of my Yankee speech impediment.
    They told me there was only two kinds of Yankees, a good Yankee who comes to Alabama and goes back and then there is the Da**ed Yankee who comes down and stays. By the way, they were serious. I had one cop stop me three times on bogus carp.
    So ya, I can see your situation down there.
  3. kerf

kerf Guest

Why in the world did you leave, sounds to me like them good ol boys was just start'n to take shine to ya. One good thing about the south, outdoor activities during the winter are easier, long as you don't need snow to do em.
  4. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Look through the members list and PM those close to you.
    bamabikeguy lives outside of Hollypond.

Note: Old Pete is/was the nickname of Gen. James Longstreet CSA.
    R. E. Lee called him his old war horse. He was the scape goat for all
    the good old boys down there. Guess he still is. ;)

I am a student of The Un-Civil War. :D
  5. kerf

kerf Guest

Ah yes, Hollypond, Gov. Guy's ol stomp'n ground.

6. mickey

mickey Guest

My son is allegedly assembling a bike with the HT that I bought from erikvilla. He live in Southside above 5 Points. Hopefully, he'll join this forum after he gets the bike together.
  7. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Actually Kerf, I married my wife in Chapman close to Twist Ankle and Burnt Corn, Alabama. We lived there for 2 years and ya, they took a shine to us. They didn't want to let us go when I took a job back up north. Lotta good people down there. Lotta old Rebs too! ;->
  8. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

You're never alone when you belong to MBc. Now where's the beer?!
  9. Scottm

Scottm Guest

That stinks they treat you that way. There's high performance motorcycle racing shop down the street that get tickled silly when i pull up on my bike. I know they've even visited MBc a few times and have contacted Dax.
    I got chased by a big German Shepard yesterday, that about the meanest anyone's been to me. Spent 2 of the best summers of my life in Lineville, AL. Good folk who didn't mind my TX accent.
    People will warm up to you. I've found Hardware stores, and barber shops to be a good place to meet bike friendly people.