Tires Amerityre - The Pros and the Cons

http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/p-98-27-x-1-18-monaco-performance-touring-630.aspx

27 x 1 1/8 Nu-Teck Monaco Performance Touring (630)
(Additional Information)

Street Tire
Made of the same durable urethane as our Time Trial tires, the Monaco Touring tire engages more road surface with a slightly flattened center profile. Made to be more comfortable than many of today's touring tires, the Air Free Monaco takes you where you're going with less rolling resistance and no flats.

Price: $37.50

I plan to buy 1 or 2 Amerityres for a 26" mtn wheel. Between a 200lb casual rider on pavement and a 150 recreational/enthusiast rider on singletrack, we will see if the tire is worth a $. If I like it I can just buy some more. If not, I'm out $30 or so, and the people who read my reviews can make their own decision.

I expect these things are the best ever for handcarts and industrial bicycles. I guess time will tell if they are really spoke-breaking technological throwbacks, or the best thing since mini pumps.

Well, I picked mine up for country blocks and distance commuting on pavement. The desert riding out here is pretty good, but I definitely wouldn't want to take it downhilling where I'd need the hard cornering ability.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them firsthand!

I dug out the CC and bought 2 of the suckers. Ouch. I paypalled it. I've wanted to try these since I heard of them here.
I justified them as a gift item to myself. More pork and beans please.
evilboy.jpg

http://anomalycentral.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/evilboy.jpg

70.jpg
https://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/images/PRODUCT/medium/70.jpg

https://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/p-70-26-x-20-teton-hp-559-kit.aspx
The set I ordered was with the standard plastic tire spoon and they came in 90psi rating.

Product Quantity Sub Total:
26 x 2.0 Nu-Teck Teton HP (559) - Kit
SKU: 90
Installation Tool Choice:paddle-Free
Choose Your PSI:90
1 $77.85
Subtotal: $77.85
Shipping (Ground): $15.95
Tax: $0.00
Total: $93.80

It cost 78 plus $16 for Ground shipping! I think that's high, but I'll chance it once, to see if these things are worth the hype. My wife doesn't ride her bike much, so it will go on there if its not the coolest thing ever. It would be cool to not have to ever air up her tires either. She is not an enthusiast rider.

I also have a friend who is a dedicated exercise biker. He is about 250 and rides a rigid 26" wheel Trek on pavement paths and fishing trails. He can also give me a review to post.

I expect it to be a very hard tire for me because I weigh 150lb and I am a "finesse" rider. I mostly ride on sandy clay hard pack single track trails with my pedal bike, and concrete and dirt roads with the mb. If these things are hot stuff, I will buy more in the future. You get discounts for 4 tires at once. Its expensive, but how many times does one hear "I wish it was made in USA", with all the bike products.

Some reviews say they are slick at first due to mold release, like many tires. I'll just ride through some sandy clay and wash off, probably they'll be fine. I've heard that the actual tire material releases mud easily.

I plan to clean the rims really good with a scouring pad so as to prevent the slipping some reviewers complained of. I think they just had the wrong size tires/rim combo or had something slick or residue in there.

They have an exhaustive database of users' bicycles and compatible tires, including a page where you enter, whether your rim is

1. Crowned or Flat
2. Wider than a Quarter
Wide as a Quarter
Between a Nickle and a Quarter
etc

and lists a page full of compatible tires

Last edited:
So, I bought a new Amerityre for my new rear wheel, and it was much more a secure fit. Turns out the other rims were just a skosh wider than they should have been.

When I get paid next I'm going back to Les Schwab with two front wheels to test their two sizes they keep in stock. That gives me a possibility of four total combinations between tires and wheels, so I'll go with whichever tire fits whichever wheel best.

Their sizing system seems kind of weird. They use what seem like normal outer tire dimensions (2.1", 1.9", 1.5" etc) to sell tires made for a couple widths of rims.

I like how my big wide boxy motor bicycle rims can ride 26" x 1.5, 1.9, 2.0, 2.5 tires just by deflating and swapping.

The tradeoff for a no-flat tire that my wife or I could just jump on and ride anytime, is worth the inconvenience though, for the bike we are testing it on.

Thanks for the update though, D T G. Good to know you found one that stays tighter on your bike rim. It is also good to hear that a tire dealer will let you test fit the product before buying.

Actually, out here they will even install it for you! When I was in last week, we pulled the back tire off, put the new tire on it, took the front tire off and put the old back tire on it! The front tire was in poor shape, the fins had split and were coming out between the tire and the rim. I still have it, I'll have to take a pic tomorrow when the sun comes back and show you guys how the tire looks off a wheel, what the fins look like when they go, etc. Of course, I'm going to have to do a reevaluation on these tires, as it seems I didn't have the right size, or possibly incompatible rims!

Really these would market best to "Sunday drivers".

I know, the sizing is wierd. The tire shop here sells 1.5 and 1.9, so that's all I tested. I have my wheel from my StumpJumper I'm wanting to get it put on, and I'm hoping a 1.9 will fit it - the tighter and more secure the fit the better. The StumpJumper wheel has a seriously deep rim, so I'm not sure how it'll go until I get down there.

According to the website, the depth of the rim (tire side) is not important as long as it is more than the listed minimum for the tire type, only the width is important.

My wife is only interested in scenery and excercise. She doesn't time laps. She doesn't have bike magazines laying around or debate over whether she should buy new or dig something up in the bargain bin. She is happy as long as the gears and brakes work and the tires aren't flat.
This sounds like the best thing for her.

Screw Amerityre! I've waited 1 month and still haven't seen my tires! If they aren't here tomorrow, I'm filing complaints with my credit card company!

Back