An acetone success

It's hard to see offhand that combustion speed affects low-end performance,rapid combustion theoretically improves thermodynamic performance,it could be that with fixed,compromise timing that is,the timing becomes too far advanced with acetone use.At high speeds the converse could be the case and more rapid combustion is helpful.

The theory in the car forums is that acetone helps with atomization of the fuel, rather than altering the combustion speed. I really don't know, but the sound, feel, and throttle response difference is startling. It is difficult to convey on a forum.

Soon I will go to a 32:1 gas/oil ratio when I have used the 25:1 mix I have on hand, and will report here. Hot weather performance also needs to be tested.

Improved atomization could improve combustion speed, smaller droplets have more surface area so they would burn faster

I am guessing that the 'additives' in gas might already include acetone?
If it were THAT good at such a low concentration, they'd jump on it, wouldn't they? I live in Oil-company-head-office North and they are always looking for a competitive edge, even in a commodity like gasoline.

But then I think we should raise gas back to $6 a gallon through taxes directly to build a solar/wind/biodiesel infrastructure (like in Europe?) because we can all afford expensive gas - we proved it last summer... and I'd rather pay for a windmill than some Oil Executive's hummer or bi-monthly getaway.

Last edited:
It could be that any improvement is peculiar to 2 strokes which have inherently more combustion issues,such as scavenging and fixed timing.

Flapdoodle,
I'm confused about what four cycling is in a two cycle engine.

When it is only firing every other stroke instead of every stroke. That may be an over simplification, but essentially that is what happens. Not uncommon in an out of tune 2 stroke engine.

At low throttle, like at idle not enough new charge gets to the combustion chamber to clean it out sufficiently, resulting in misfiring,in the next cycle things improve and you get a power stroke,so the engine fires on alternate cycles and behaves as a 4 stroke.

Back