An Arizona letter-writing campaign

The reason I'm trying to get cities & towns which already haven't got motorized bike regulations on the books, is to be proactive. I woulld like to get them to to add reasonable regulations, but with wording to fine someone who exceeds 20 with a speeding ticket, rather than an unregistered/uninsured moped ticket. You could easily COAST down a hill faster than 20 mph...

Unfortunately, Torques' case set a precedent here... and, NOT a good one for us.

I never got a "speeding ticket". The court seems to believe if you go over 20 you are a moped up to 25 and over that you are a motorcycle. The apple is an apple under 20, then becomes an orange over that, then a banana over 25.

Torques, I know you didn't get a speeding ticket. And, THAT's the problem. IF we could get towns to just fine us for speeding if we go over 20, I can live with it.

And I must also say, I was NOT going over twenty miles per hour. That's the worst part of this. That cop told multiple lies about his interaction with me.

Unfortunately, Torques, even if the situation was such that you only got a fine for speeding, you would still be getting screwed with that cop's lies. But, you wouldn't have had all the carp that goes with the "unlicensed/uninsured moped" B.S.

Again. I'm just trying to influence the towns which haven't yet implemented any regulations, so that we WON'T get nailed for the B.S. of riding an unlicensed moped if we happen to be going over 20 MPH. To implement a standard that ONLY charges us with speeding if we going over 20.

If I get caught speeding, then, while I wouldn't like it, I could accept paying a fine for speeding. But, to get a nailed with more than a thousand dollars in fines for riding a bike (NOT a Moped) at speeds where some peddle-pushed bikes are passing me is just outrageous.

I don't think that the status quo in AZ is fair or just for us. In addition to trying to influence the town & city governments, we should also look at a campaign to try to get the state law amended. To change it from the top down. The letter above is an attempt to influence the enforcement from the bottom up.

Last edited:
Well, they are trying to say that an orange becomes an apple when it exceeds 20 mph, then the apple becomes a banana after it exceeds 25 mph. It called ipsy dixit, the magic wand from the corrupt, dishonest, judges, prosecutors and cops in Nazisdale. A bicycle with a motor attached to it is not a motor vehicle, it's still a bicycle, no matter how fast it goes. It has a serial number NOT a vin number as a motor vehicle does. Bicycle manufacture is monitored by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission), bicycles are considered consumer products. The CPSC's work is to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, bicycles, power tools, refrigerators, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals among many other items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they are trying to say that an orange becomes an apple when it exceeds 20 mph, then the apple becomes a banana after it exceeds 25 mph. It called ipsy dixit, the majic wand from the corrupt, dishonest, judges, prosecutors and cops in Nazisdale. A bicycle with a motor attached to it is not a motor vehicle, it's still a bicycle, no matter how fast it goes. It has a serial number NOT a vin number as a motor vehicle does. Bicycle manufacture is monitored by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission), bicycles are considered consumer products. The CPSC's work is to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, bicycles, power tools, refrigerators, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals among many other items.
I agree, Torques. If a lot of people send EMails to the city governments, maybe we can influence their enforcement of the law to NOT include the magic mushroom legal theory of motorized bicycles. That they magically change their spots at 21 mph and 26 mph... (or, in your case, at 17 mph!)

Last edited:
I am in Glendale and I am tinking about a MB (over 50cc). s I understand it I need ins and a $5 tag. Is that correct?

After much thought and pondering, I don't believe it would be right to give us a speeding ticket for going, let's say 25 in a 35 mph zone. Based on the legality of not really speeding over the 35 limit. Perhaps a driving in a dangerous manner might be more appropriate. Or something along those lines. But a speeding ticket, I don't think I agree with.

Technically, you can go any speed on it. There is not one word in Arizona law about a speed limit on a motorized bicycle.

Back