An idea of mine

BAZZA614

Local time
2:31 PM
Hello,
Today i was thinking, what could i do to make my bike slightly different, that's when i thought of key ignition.
is this even possible? i don't mean in a way that it starts the bike when you turn then key but you need it to start the bike. example you turn it and then that allows you to start it. am i even making any sense? (if you can understand me you deserve a medal) anyway if its possible would it be costly, hard to wire up or would it even affect the wattage?(i have a restrictor kit that brings the engine wattage to a lousy 200 watts to comply with Australian laws.
If anyone can understand what i'm blabbering on about and can help me with my whacky idea it would be highly appreciated.
Thanks - Bazz

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I was given a key ignition off an old dirtbike. I'm planning to wire it so that the killswitch will still function. I've never needed to shut the engine off in an emergency, but if I ever would, I figure I can push a button a lot quicker than I can turn a key. It won't affect electrical output whatsoever.

Is it hard to wire up with the killswitch still hooked upped ? i would go with what velzie mention of the cdi (thanks by the way velzie) but sick bike parts postage and handeling prices are through the roof

Well, if you were to get your hands on a motorcycle style keyed ignition, it should have 4 wires attached, two pos and two neg. You wire one positive to the positive going to the killswitch and the other positive to the positve going to the engine. The negatives you can probably just ground straight to the frame. The keyed switch works the same as the killswitch, when the switch is open, it keeps the positive and negative separate, allowing the circuit to flow. When closed, it connects the pos and neg, shorting the circuit and cutting off the flow. So you could shut the engine off by the killswitch or the keyed ignition. But without the key in, the engine won't start.

You can get a keyed SPST (2 terminals with a single ON position and a single OFF position) switch from Amazon for about $3. If you're using the stock killswitch setup then you can simply connect it in parallel to the existing killswitch. That's how I've got mine set up.

The standard killswitch remains intact, just a keyed switch is placed inline with the killswitch

ighm.png

This is the switch I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QAJ23S/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any switch with two terminals will work for this method, but that's the cheapest one. Keep in mind being a hong kong seller it'll take a month for it to arrive. There are other sellers that will get it to you sooner but you'll be paying more.

This seller can have it to you in a under a week:
http://www.amazon.com/Key-Switch-wi...8&qid=1398231820&sr=8-1&keywords=keyed+switch

Edit: You being in Australia, you should probably check ebay or whatever electronic component supply sites that Australians use.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back