An Inconvenient Truth

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by locoWelder, Jul 20, 2007.

1. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Is this film going to change anything? Who suddenly jumped up from that movie and decided, as of now the TV will be unplugged whenever not in use, or walk that mile to work, or exchange their cheap light bulbs for energy efficient ones, and of course get put on the waiting list to buy that expensive hybrid car that ?

I do all these things and more, I'm not perfect but I rather not waste when I don't have to. However, I have to tell you, not to be a cycnic but until something happens I think we can take those "startling" statistics and wait until we can say I told you so. If we really want to see change it is not going to be because of a movie starring Al Gore.

I will tell you when people will change their comfy lives, when someone does it for them. That means no choices in the matter, kind of like smoking, smoking indoors has become noexistent because of the. Like smoking, gas powered cars will become taboo and repercussions will go along with if one gets caught driving one. Basically all I am saying, is iif the American public is told what to do, they will do it. For example, only having a market of energy efficient appliances, people will still buy appliances because those are their only options.

If we already have the means to fix our CO2 problem, then lets get rid of the "bad" choices and only leave them with the "good" choices, that is what it will take the for the Mcdonald eating, SUV driving world to change. Or some glacier that melts putting New York under 20ft of water.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. not only do the alternatives have to work, but they have to appear so cool, so desirable that people will CRAVE them & KILL for them. sad to say, but nobody makes a change unless they find it at least somewhat appealing.

my boss is a 2006 harley roadster owner. Today he took a spin on my MB and now he wants me to help him put one together! he noticed the smiles from passers by and the thrill of the pull of the engine.

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

As energy/gas/water prices start going up, people will find it more and more worthwhile to buy more efficient products.

Energy prices will go up not only because of supply/demand (decreasing supply), but also because of government taxes.

Look at gasoline prices... I am personally using less gas because of the price is just too high.

Maybe it won't be worth it to walk that extra mile to work when gas is $3/gal, but will it be worth it when gas is $5/gal? $10? $20? Everyone will get to a point where alternative transportation/energy will be more cost-effective.

4. crgintx

crgintx Guest

Global warming is a crock

At least that's my belief as to the human contribution but the other effects of pollution are far more immediate in that we're poisoning our air and water. The thing that get's me is why are we having to buy affordable small engines and electric motors made in China when the power elites could easily have setup a factory in Mexico and employed a few of illegal immigrant workers now in the US with a decent wage in their own country?

Speaking of China, why are they leapfrogging ahead of the US in both fuel efficiency and e-bike technology? Sometimes I really wonder how the hell we let ourselves get into a situation where we've spent $1.5 trillion defending foreign oil fields since 1990 and less than $15 billion on real energy research during that same time frame? It makes my head hurt.

5. Part of the problem here in the US is that we have powerful lobbying groups that push (read 'pay') our elected officials to vote for laws that keep their interests alive. i.e. voting down legislation that calls for change, voting for legislation that enables corporations to pollute, ship jobs overseas and generally run roughshod over the people of the US.

I want to make a music video called "This is America" with a non-stop barrage of 'made in china' stickers running accross a supermarket conveyor belt and then cut to images of american people and their families standing in front of farmhouses and factories fading away.

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

the description (of the vid) alone broke my heart :cry:

7. I have that effect on people sometimes - sorry...

I am an Irish immigrant, I came here when I was 14 years old. the kids at school in Ireland used to make fun of me for being 'so american'.

The level of opportunity and the level of convenience that makes america great is still pretty much here, but every year it gets harder and harder to be middle class.

either you get to go to college and go to a high-stress high-pay job and you become upper class, or you become lower class, there is no middle class in the united states anymore.

I really hope the country can turn around from all the mistakes that the Bush/Cheney administration has made. Remember learning about 'checks and balances' in high school? Remember when your own government didn't go out of their way to scare you? Remember when speaking out against corrupt government WOULDN'T get you a criminal record?

I miss the 'old' USA. the one that told me to 'duck and cover' if something went wrong. This government wants me to be afraid ALL THE TIME. "the terrorists are going to step up their attacks this summer - everybody be afraid now"!

I really miss the old USA. the one I remember looking forward to moving to.

before ANYBODY tells me to "go home" or there's nothing you can do about it - you would have to tell 80% of this country to do that.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i don't think you'd get that response here...we're forward thinkers who look back fondly (and a bit whistfully) at what was & what could still be...americans vote with their pocketbooks, but that's backfired badly...well, that philosophy may start to ring true soon. people are getting tired of not being able to afford subsistency, and they're getting tired of subsistency being the new standard, as well :x

get 'em all on motoredbikes, better still, put 'em to work building them...when henry ford was asked why he paid his workers so much, he responded by saying he needed someone who could afford to buy his product...this time i think we need to make a product that fits the current circumstances...

the next american revolution is gonna be an economic one, hope we can afford it :(

9. jerryt

jerryt Guest

I don't understand what you mean by these statements. Wanna elaborate?

10. Sure - I can elaborate the hell out of my comments.

if you are percieved to be "undermining efforts in iraq" you can have your property taken away.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html

man arrested for telling cheney his iraq policy "reprehensible"
    http://cliffschecter.blogspot.com/2007/07/man-walked-up-to-dick-cheney-calmly.html

arrested for civil disobedience
    http://winterpatriot.blogspot.com/2007/03/peaceful-protesters-arrested-in.html

I could go on and on all day.

11. jerryt

jerryt Guest

You are wrong and quoting out of context. Like any law of the United States (notice how, unlike you, I respectfully used capital letters) you can have your property taken if you commit acts of violence

Your other two examples are also questionable because they are obviously written by anti-Bush, probably anti-government leftiy hacks with an agenda. The first guy Cliff Schecter has worked as a political consultant for numerous Democrats, including polling for the reelection of President Bill Clinton in 1996.

You're batting 3 for 3 Mr Swipe. They were arrested for assembling on the sidewalk in front of the White House which poses a threat. You also cannot fly a plane overhead.

I'm sure you can but can I recommend you start looking a little closer and maybe getting both sides of t he story.

12. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

Seems that part of the problem with the environmental movement is a lot of "Environmentally Friendly" things are either really expensive (Toyota Prius, Compact flourescent bulbs) or, they are not really environmentally friendly. (Again, Toyota Prius, Compact flourescent bulbs) The people on this message board, with their staggering variety of of vehicular madness, are doing more to help the environment than 100 Hybrid car drivers. None of these bicycles carry around several hundred pounds of toxic metals in the trunk, in the form of batteries that WILL stop holding a charge, and must be disposed of. Even the electric bikes mentioned are not carrying around 800+ pounds of lead, zinc, nickel, etc. Less fuel is burned by a motorized bicycle than any car, and less material goes into their manufacture - indeed, most seem to be recycled from old bicycles, weed eater engines, whatever else is found. (Mine will be a Trek 820 that I've had since I was 13)

I'd like to see what happens when gas hits $5 a gallon - which it will, not so much due to terrorism or bush or the middle east, but because of environmentalists working so hard to curb new refinery construction. I think there will be a lot of odd two wheeled contraptions that will suddenly come out of the woodwork. :D

13. Yep, there's clearly NOTHING wrong with our country, you keep sticking up for the administration that is stripping us of our rights and handing the reigns of the country to religious groups and corporations.

14. jerryt

jerryt Guest

Theres plenty wrong with our country but its not just the administration. Its also the congress and the judicial system of laws and judges that allow terrorists to sue in court with the help of the ACLU and other absurdities.

If anyone, its the congress and the judiciary that are
    . They're the ones that make the laws, not the administration.

On the other hand theres plenty right with our country. You just have to look past the cynicism of some outspoken critics who simply want to make money by playing up to the uninformed.

I'm done

15. If you are content to ignore what's wrong and play up what's right, you are no better than Tony Snow.

If you are blaming congress then you haven't heard of presidential signing statements (deciding which parts of the laws apply to the executive branch) or the fact that the administration is claiming executive privilege to hide the fact that the recent justice firings were politically motivated.

I welcome debate on this and any other subject, but don't use the word cynicism like it's a bad thing - dissent is patriotic.

16. grakker

grakker Guest

I've ignored this thread since it showed up. I'm not sure why I clicked on it now. But having done so, I hope that the new forum software allows us to filter out users. I can't imagine jerryt or tinker1980 writing anything that is worth reading.

I know that most 'forum' sites have an offtopic area, but still, now anytime I see these fools from now on, I will dismiss what they have to say. That's too bad. If you want participate in political talk, go to moveon.org or fox.com or whatever.

17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

every opinion matters.

here's mine: you just "participated in political talk" :???:

maybe it would have been best to ignore the users you want to ignore. naming them (and calling them fools) isn't really "ignoring" at all & is sure to fan the flames, tho in a different direction.

i never much wanted political discussion here, but i realize some MBc issues are political in nature, so what to do? as long as we're behaving ourselves and avoiding the flame, we may be able to tolerate relevant political topics...

this has to be a post-by-post moderation issue...we'll see how it goes 8)

18. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

Same to you, hero.

19. OldPete

OldPete Guest

The OP was flamebait and bound to stir something up.

This whole thread should be deleted. :cool:

20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

it did get a bit heated, but the convo was within MBc guidelines (no flame til now)...matter of fact the peeps actually involved in the debate were being pretty dang good about it...

OP: 'splain yourself...we'll decide what to do from there.