Another 12 volt light setup

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Ozi, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Ozi

Ozi Member

Hiya guys and gals...

Just thought I'd share a 12v light setup Im using.

55 watt halogen spot beam, about 3.5 inch dia.
    2 x 4.5a batts. parallel = 9ah
    charger 2.25a + float

Ive only just put this all together just recently and have yet to Install a permanent switch, also have to sort the charger plugs out.

I ride 10 mins. to work, 10 mins back home. Both in the dark and have to say the light output/beam spread is pretty cool. Cars actually stop and wait for me to go past. :grin5:

I plug the charger in and top the batts. up every couple of days.

Ozi.

Attached Files:

2. PAPAROACH

PAPAROACH Member

Great setup for fighting zombies. You will sure blind them. My Question is if they make a light the same size but smaller volt. I like the light housing you have and mounting set up. It looks strong and as i have the vibration king of bikes i will need something strong and not made in china. Thanks :cool:

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I'll testify!!

I've used a 55 watt automotive light before and cars DO show a lot of respect.

I got tired of lugging the battery around. But it looks like yours is a bit more convenient than mine.

4. hammer5312

hammer5312 Member

You could add a small Solar cell to the top of you pack and let it charge them for you.
    I've got some little six volt batteries out of a Coleman Camping product that are sealed Lead acid, I was going to use them, since they are about the size of two cigarette packs...

5. V 35

V 35 Member

Tell us more about the Coleman Pack ... Grubee Engines have a 6 vt lighting coil
    [ the not used, white Wire ]

6. fleebell

fleebell Member

I tried a couple of those on my trike (small round 55w car fog lamps) They really worked well but my battery couldn't take it for long so I switched over to the led car type fog lights. No where near as much light but still plenty for me at the speeds I ride. 10 amps versus .3 amps. My battery was a lot happier!

7. fleebell

fleebell Member

I would leave it unused too. It takes power away from the engine.

8. fleebell

fleebell Member

You can find a 35 watt at 12v but I've never seen a 6 volt version of any of them and I looked for a couple of hours on the web a few weeks ago and never found anything except for high power led types.

9. happyjourney

happyjourney Member

where did you get that light? did it come with the mount? is there a 35 watt version?

10. fleebell

fleebell Member

It looks like a truck light to me. I'm using mini led fog lights from Autozone on my trike.

You can get those halogen bulbs in a lot of places if you want a smaller wattage in a car fog lamp. I found this one a few minutes ago that even has them in 6 volt. Surprised me too. I wish I had found this place about 6 months ago.

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/MR-11

Lee