Another 40/41 chain/sprocket question..

Walbird

Local time
10:58 PM
OK, 40 and 41 chain are the same pitch, just different width - plate to plate. I guess even 420 and other is the same pitch too, just different widths as well. I presume this all means that I can run #40 chain on a 40/41 sprocket. My question is;
If I buy a, say MaxTorque centrifugal clutch that has a, say 10T, #41 sprocket, can I run a #40 chain...or does the sprocket on the clutch NOT leave enough room to handle any back and forth action, between plates (or whatever - you tell me), for that wider #40 chain. Hope this makes sense...Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Walbird,

#41, 40, and 420 are normally interchangable. It is important to note if you use a stock MaxTorque clutch you need to make sure the motor idles at the correct speed for the clutch.

The MaxTorque clutch can't be used on the HS 142 or Honda GXH50 if mounted on the crankshaft. The idle is too high on those motors and the clutch will be enguaged at idle.

We use a special version of the MaxTorque clutch in our Q-Matic drive, however the clutch isn't affixed to the motor crackshaft, but suspended at the rear of the drive between two large bearings. We only spin the clutch at 2.76 X 1, meaning the motor turns 2.76 RPMs per one revolution of the clutch.

You can run the #40 chain without any clearance issues. The wider chains have plently of clearance to move around if necessary.

Have fun,

Back