Tubes Another Freakin' flat tire!

And why are mine going bad from the inside?

you can pin-point the exact spot on your tire or rim that is causing the flat.

when you get a flat.....mark your tire at the valve stem, with a soapstone, chalk, tape....whatever.... it gives you a reference point of where your tube was...(an old tire shop trick)
when you remove your tire & tube...re inflate your tube & find the leak....then you can look inside your tire (for thorns or other punctures) & rim (for protruding spokes or imperfections of the rim, burrs etc)

I hate to see ya give up. It's prolly a simple fix. (maybe your local bike shop guys could help? my LBS guy taught me how to service/rebuild a coaster brake hub, & it only cost a 30 pack of cold beer. (and we shared it during class!! :LOL:)
trust me....it gets better!!

for the record.....I weigh a robust 240+.... & my last flat tire (August of 2007, noon....HOT!) left me pushing Rusty, with my trailer loaded with my laundry, for over a mile.

Last edited:
Well, I'm going to fix the tire in the morning no matter what, so I'll know more then...I REALLY hope I ran over a nail. I can't understand having a tube problem with the front wheel since I have already run it about 40 miles. It shouldn't even be trying to move, since it's just free-rolling. Not like there's power on it like in the back. If it's an external issue, I'll feel much better, put in the new shields and give it another shot...If it's a spoke issue, same - I"ll fix - after all, it's a "Walmart" special..., but if I cannot find the cause, I'm done with it...(and I really want this to work out - cause I do think it's cool - but I need to be able to depend on it to go more than a few miles.

Thanks,
Mark

Alrighty then...this is turning into one of those Love/Hate things...I LOVE the bike when it's right! I just changed the tire - can't find the air leak...I'll have to put it under water in my pool when I get home...but put the Tuff liner in, and I also partially inflated the tube before I installed.

I just rode around the mall perimeter next to my office, and of course it seemed just fine.

I parked my bike downstairs, next to the stairs, and someone here suggested that someone let the air out just to mess with me. I find that hard to believe, but then again, I found no visible issues. Maybe the stem is leaking? I'll know later.

Hopefully (HOPEFULLY) I'll make it all the way home today. I'm going to ask my partner to follow me in my MDX just in case.

Please, oh please, let this be the end of these stupid issues! I really want to love this bike ALL THE TIME!

I have a bunch of upgrades on order, too: dual brake handle. Powerking's clutch handle. Spooky's upgraded kick-stand, and a new front springer forks. My bike should be kickin' by the end of the week for sure!

If it fails on me again...http://www.scooterdepot.us/150cc-4-Stroke-Gas-Moped-p-216.html has caught my eye... :)

Wish me luck, that I might save $1000 and make the bike work...
Mark

Made it home...2 incidents, all very cool: First, an old guy and his wife pulled up next to me at an intersection....rolled down the window and told me they were jealous about the great gas mileage. Second, a guy with a BEAUTIFUL new Honda - huge, shiny, bad-a$$ bike, pulls ahead of me, looks back, then pulls over and flags me down. I stood there talking to him for about 10 minutes...he was so intrigued with it. Of course when I pulled up, I asked him if he wanted to race for pink slips! Man, what a SWEET bike he was on!

Anyway, like everyone here says -- it's all smiles when people see you! So, I'm loving the bike again!

Just received the kickstand from Spooky - fast shipping, good service. BTW.

Hopefully tomorrow will be another good riding day.

So I'll stick with the bike for a bit more...
Mark

Good to hear,Mark! Incidentally,when it came to both my motoredbikes,I had just one flat on my first build. Nothing yet on my new bike but I had switched from the stock tubes to gel tubes.
This older man yesterday at the Mall told me my back tire was low in air. I checked the pressure and it was at 30 psi.
I'm just so paranoid to put more air in there. On my other bike I had 35 psi when it blew....or maybe it was 40 psi.
It doesn't bother me and it's really not as low as that guy said it was and I see no ill effects in ride so I'm sticking with my 30 psi mentality....maybe I'll go 32....maybe.

Feeling even better now...I took an SOS pad, and washed up the white-walls...I got 'em pretty nasty looking from touching chains then tires...I picked up a new Schwinn pump today, mounted it on the bottom of the top bar, I have a good toolkit and tube and fix-a-flat in the front bag...cut away that piece of fender that the chain keeps tapping (now all I hear is motor - cool!), and I'm good to go now!

I truly was just clicks away from getting a scooter for $1300+, too. :)

So for now, I am still very excited about the bike. :)

Marktur,

Adding to and agreeing with the previous post the leak seems to be on the inside. I've had seemingly good cruiser tires stretch out and not seal on the rim properly. And then the over stretched inner tube is prone to that snake-bite effect.

One good thing I've come across with my friction drive "adventures" is the Geax Evolution tire. They are kevlar, fast running, durable and cheap. That with the pre-slimed , double thick Bell inner tubes (@ wallymart) you'll never have this problem again. And you will see improved performance/ handling.

Namaste,
Michael

Back