Another newb with questions, get in here!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Engineer, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Ok, so I'm building a motorbike and have a series of questions to ask

1.) I am thinking about going with a GT5 Pro Racing motor kit from gasbike.net, is this a good site to order from?

2.) How much clearance would I need to install said motor?

3.) I never really cared for gears, should I go with gears or single speed? In other words, which is better for motor bikes?

4.) I really like the look of the Fito Modena cruiser bikes with 3" tires, would this be a good pick for what I need considering clearance, stability, etc.? Although the specific bike I buy is subject to change seeing as I may only go with what's in stock at my local Walmart/Target.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. Also, feel free to post pics of your personal builds, I enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing!

- Engineer

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

2. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Disregard question 1 I suppose. Despite reading many dismal reviews pertaining to GasBike's bad customer service I went ahead and ordered the kit seeing as I could not find it anywhere else. Will go bike browsing tomorrow and update the thread, hopefully there are actually some replies by then.

- Engineer

3. Neufcruz

Neufcruz Member

I too just got into this. Yesterday i ordered as recomended by some on here the Fito GT 7speed with disk brakes. It has a nice look and front and rear disks which i want any way, 7speed etc... Figured its a good platform to start from. Im looking at engines next, shift kit and a few other things. 1st going to swap out forks and seat post for suspension. This old man needs a comfy ride these days.
    Cant wait for the bike to arrive!

good luck with the build.

mike

4. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

You already got screwed if you ordered from Gasbikes

5. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Really? :bigcry: Care to elaborate?

6. Neufcruz

Neufcruz Member

Yes, please do! I hear bad things and then some say they have been fine. Seems like most places.
    let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll be fine.

7. Engineer

Engineer New Member

First off, sorry for taking so long to update you guys. I originally ordered my engine kit from gasbike about two weeks ago, then they e-mailed me informing me that the product I ordered was not in stock :74: They then offered me the same kit, but in the black color (which costs $10 more than the one I ordered) at no additional charge; so I went with that. I got the shipment about a day early, the box was pretty jacked up and the packaging was less than subpar therefore leading to some parts being dented and minorly damaged.

At this point in time I'm on the hunt for a specific cruiser bike, 29" Men's Genesis 7-gear Astra.

I'll keep this thread updated with the build,

Engineer

8. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

if you get a 29, be sure it has 36 spokes or your rag joint will be really hard to put on

9. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Got the 29 I was looking for although I had to drive an hour to get it, gonna start the build soon, probably saturday.

10. crassius

work carefully, pic looks to have too many spokes

11. Engineer

Engineer New Member

You were right. This bike has many, many spokes. It was a monster to get the back sprocket on straight, but I was able to make it work for me after a few tries.:cool:

12. crassius

well done then, a lot of folks get stuck right there & never finish

13. gator joe

gator joe Member

engineer this is Gator Joe here I see this post is couple weeks old so disregard if you've already made final decisions having gears running off the motor is it ok to do but it will rob the motor power and realistically it's just one more thing to break I have a nice revolution beach cruiser when flying horse motor and expansion chamber 40 sprocket with adapter so it goes around the hub not spokes.for me this **** up on a 26 inch rim beach cruiser went about 35 miles an hour the nice thing about it was I could choose it 25 or 30 without stress in the motor out with too many rpms my main advice to you please make sure you use Loctite on damn near everything and panel it to make sure your chains lined up before you go trying to start the motor double check everything all the time tighten up your nuts all the time

14. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Oh, and here's a pic of the back sprocket after I got it on and trued. [​IMG]

15. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

I usually turn the sprocket over the other way so that chain clears tire.

16. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Yep. I ended up flipping mine over to get more clearance between the tire and chain.

17. Engineer

Engineer New Member

So I finished the build about a week ago. Haven't updated the thread because I had finals to do this past week. Everything is perfect except the chain doesn't align with the bottom of the sprocket 100%. Any tips on how to fix that? I'm thinking of just tightening the back sprocket to fix it.
    [​IMG]
    *not going to attach the muffler til I'm done tweaking the bike

18. battery

battery Member

Be extra careful with that idler pulley. Make sure it is extra tight. If that thing flips around I you it will tear out a few of your spokes while riding and leave you sick on the side of the road like a dummy. If you can reach, flip that idler over to the upper fork frame to hang down and grab the slack side of the chain. If not utilize a half link if you must to keep the chain as straight as possible to have the idler in a lower position. I high position gives it more leverage to flip on you.

19. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Thank you for the heads up @battery, I never thought about that happening.

As for the bike, it is officially finished! Big thanks to everyone who posted in the thread and shared their personal knowledge with motorbikes! Expect to see more projects from me in the future

20. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Just starting to realize I should get a hub adapter for the back sprocket. How many tooth sprocket should I get and what's the best hub adapter out there that's reasonably priced?