another newbie, needs help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dirty, Feb 7, 2012.

1. dirty

dirty New Member

ahhhh, the first time doing this. should prove to be interesting. due to my recent retardedness, i will no longer have a drivers license for the next year. fortunately, i can put a motor on my bicycle! with that being said, here is what i need. i drive 25 miles back and forth to work. needs to be reliable. lawyer has got my money. needs to be reasonably cheap.($500 or less) speeds of 30 or more. i am a diesel mechanic so assembly is not an issue. i need a bike/engine kit combo that has a proven track record. any help here is greatly appreciated.

2. tom-fishing

tom-fishing Member

Idea for places to look.

Hi Dirty
    Just an idea, check out craigslist. I found a Golden eagle all set up on there today, just needs a new drive belt. Just a thought.:idea:

ypb8s-2838122693@sale.craigslist.org

3. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

For your requirement of under $500.00 you don't have too much choice. You can build one from a HT under $300 to $350.00, but with a better engine I think you will go over budget. Attaining a constant 30 MPH or more is kind of out of the question with a HT without modifications. I have found that with a few modifications (under $50.00 if you have the tools and hardware) my bikes are quite reliable. Then add riding gear (as a daily rider is needed), as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. dirty

dirty New Member

ahhh, the wisdom of somebody who has been there done that. dug through the garage and found an old bike i used to ride. 26" mountain. tubes are right size and i cant beat the price. a ht motor wont hold up to 30 mph? please send me some mod ideas. i also have a schwinn occ chopper bke i bought for my son who no longer rides it. just a thought, found a 125cc dirtbike engine from tmotorsports that includes wire harnass and carb for under 200. i am not above mounting it and riding a little on the left side of the law. a man has to get to work! thanks for the reply