Another "Will it fit?" Post...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by wrngway, Aug 22, 2008.

1. wrngway

wrngway New Member

I've been looking into engine kits for my bike, but I want to make sure I have a donor bike that will work before I order a kit. I'm looking for a frame mounted 2-stroke as I'd like to keep a rear rack and panier bags in place for errands. This'll be for commuting mostly, with some moderate hills, so I was looking at the 70cc at ThatsDax.

My current bike is an Raleigh 18" hybrid. The frame is similar to that of a standard mountain bike. It fits the dimension requirements at SpookyTooth Cycles.

The seat tube clearance from the top to bottom tube is 12". Here's a picture of a bike that looks like mine: passage 5-17-06.JPG

I asked the same question on another forum, but I wanted to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks for your help!

2. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

These minimum dimensions are from ZBox web page, Australia.

Attached Files:

3. wrngway

wrngway New Member

Thanks so much...

Looks like the seat tube on my bike doesn't have enough clearance. 370mm works out to about 15".
  4. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Yep, had the exct same issue, 3 months before I discovered by chance MB's, I bought a brand new Raliegh after acting on a decision never to entertain running a motor car ever again. Still have it ( the bike ), just incase.
    There is another thing I have not measured yet on the Raliegh, fitting the engine with a DIY right-angle carb manifold, it MIGHT just squeeze in.
    Might have to make custom brackets to mount the engine, I'll be doing some further checks next week.