Another 'Will it fit?' post

stevestloo

Local time
8:17 AM
...but honestly, I did do some searching.

Basically I have a 29ER mountain bike that I would like to drop a 66/80cc in and I am unsure about the fit.
I took a picture and added some dimensions. The 9.5" dimension is the distance from the top tube to the top of the derailleur.
I don't have a protractor handy so I cannot measure the angle of the tubes.

I have watched several videos on installation and I just can't grasp the size of the engine adequately.
Link to the bike (amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mens...871257&sr=8-1&keywords=mongoose+impasse+hd+29

For reference.

It seems also that I will need a disc brake adapter plate, and probably a custom built bracket for the front/down tube because it is not round.

Any help is appreciated! :cool:

Attachments

• BikeDims.JPG
    BikeDims.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 373
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That looks like it might be a seriously tight fit.

I love the 29'er concept - the larger wheel size makes those bikes look much more purposeful.

That's what I was afraid to hear.. it definitely looked tight, but I did read a few other users installing the engine on a 29ER, just maybe not that particular one.

Looks awful tight - is there anyone in your area that may have an old motor for you to try fitting? Also, does your rear wheel have 36 spokes? Any other number could mean some extra work or parts.

No one that I know of has a motor. I may buy the engine kit first, then see about the bicycle.. so at that time I could know for sure. I am not feeling confident. I can deal with 'tight' but I cant deal with 'not fitting.'

The bike has front and rear disc brakes, so I would get the tophat style disc adapter for the sprocket..

Just get yourself a Sick Bike Parts shift kit from the word "go", because if you don't and decide to wage war against common sense; choosing to install a single speed drive system, you'll quickly learn that a single speed system is a complete waste of time; realising that a shift kit should have been installed from the beginning.

I would not try to install a China girl motor in that frame. A friction drive kit would fit but I don't think friction drive is a good match for the CT weather. For a frame mounted engine, I look for a mountain bike with a horizontal (not sloping) top tube, like an older Hard Rock.

Back