Antique ACE copy

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by vintagebiker, Aug 15, 2007.

1. vintagebiker

vintagebiker Guest

Here is a home built bike I saw on ebay.
    I do not own it nor do I know who does.
    Just thought I'd put a pic of it on here for anyone to see it.

Attached Files:

2. drimpact

drimpact Member

It lokks like it belongs here, doesn't it

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

that thing must have tons of torque...
    look at the size of that gusset !!!:eek::eek::eek:
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

4. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

That's another of Firebike's frames. They do some cool stuff...
    Thanks for posting the pic. That's pretty dang sweet!

5. Very cool, thanks for the post.

6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Cool bike! How much did it sell for?

7. vintagebiker

vintagebiker Guest

High bid at the end of the auction was $1,177.02 but it did not meet the reserve.

8. skymfmike

skymfmike Guest

Nice combo!!!!!!!

9. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

My word that's inspiring :grin:

10. DougC

DougC Guest

11. skymfmike

skymfmike Guest

Ja Ja!!!!

For much that money I can build a fleet of bikes!!!!!!!

12. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

For that much money I could finally fit out my workshop how I want it AND still have money left over to build a fleet of bikes :cool:

13. Rope start modern engine in fine repro frame

HI, yes that is a lot of money! I make the Model 10, with a true vintage styled new Whizzer for Much, Much less, AND mine are street legal to boot! anyone truly interested in this style is welcome to contact me for pricing details.

Mike

14. DougC

DougC Guest

It is a nice job, but I don't know if I think it's ~$7000 worth of nice.... :shock:

I find it interesting that the info page notes it weighs "approximately 160 lbs".
    My own effort is between 90 and 95 lbs, maybe 100-105 lbs fitted with tools and fuel. Now I don't feel nearly so bad. :lol:
    ~

15. kevbo

kevbo Guest

If the seller would get rid of the cooling shroud and recoil starter (a notched pully for starting would be more period) he might be more likely to get his price.

16. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

No-one can deny that in terms of styling, paintwork and appearance this bike is a real honey, but surely there must be more suitable engines around as that huge red blocky cooling shroud just looks plain awful.

Tell you which motor I've always wanted to put in a bike, - a Gravely 'T' head. The annoying thing is I owned a Gravely two wheeled tractor with a 'T' head engine during my alternative lifestyle phase around 20 years ago and I sold it [​IMG]

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6493/gravelytheadyd1.jpg

17. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

There's a guy in Puerto Rico who built a Flying Merkel up using a similar frame, but used a Whizzer engine. It looks much better than the engine with that blocky shroud. Here's a photo:

Attached Files:

18. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

That Flying Merkel is an absolutely corker bike :grin: The Whizzer engine is a natural for building retro look bikes.

I've shown this picture before, but this is a 'Flying Merkel' that was built here in New Zealand using a Villiers engine..... (excuse picture quality).

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1822/flyingmerkelreplicaof1.jpg

There must be some industrial type engines 'out there' that have a better period appearance than the rest. Any suggestions?

19. kevbo

kevbo Guest

It's those cooling shrouds that keeps them from looking like a proper motorbike engine.

I think most any lawn mower or weed wacker engine can look about right if you take off the shroud and trim the fan blades off the flywheel.