Any ideas for passenger foot-pegs?

I found this picture a while back on Google Images. It might be starting point of an option if you can fabricate or have someone help you:

bikeT.jpg

Here's another possibility. Instead of a box, how about installing a seat. I believe the sidecar was made from a mountain bike frame. I copied them from a Blog:

100_2671-766511.jpg100_2672-769013.jpg100_2673-771362.jpg100_2674-772927.jpg100_2675-774135.jpg100_2676-775584.jpg

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

What a fantastic sidecar! I love the way the bike is able to lean independently of the car. Thanks for the ideas; whenever I get access to welding equipment or someone who can do it for me, I suspect some rather magical things may happen :)

Hey Ollie,
In my day job in the aviation field, we designed a roll-on-roll-off radar system as a proof of concept that was a temp mount facing aft. a full 1/3 of the radar operators who were involved with the testing puked after about 30 minutes of flying in this backwards configuration. Not to burst your bubble but, just saying!
Barry

I'll say what LR and others R 2 nice 2 say. Want 2 on a motorized bike? Start with a bicycle BUILT for 2. BUILT is a loaded word, inferring ground up engineering. Without that, UR ****ing with your and your passenger's health. Even then, U have the extra risk (that we all take) in motorizing it.

I'm guilty here - if my motorized tandem frame crumples on me, wheel falls apart, etc., it's 2 of us in jackpot, not just one. But it's WAY better than another 150-?#, PLUS the motorization weight.

@Barry - Thanks for the warning, but I intended for the passenger to face forward. I mounted the saddle backwards to make it level; if it had been the right way around it would have sloped forward too much.

@bigoilbob - I agree, my frame is low-quality and the tubing is thin. I also noticed the other day that the rear wheel is slowly turning into a pringle, possibly due to the passenger test-rides.

I guess this is the end of the passenger seat until I get a stronger frame and set of wheels. Thanks for the sensible advice guys, it was an interesting project while it lasted.

@Ollie

My tiresome preaching was not just for you at all. FYI, I think it's terrific that you want a passenger. My passengers include wife, grand kids, strangers we meet camping. I fly paramotors and ride a 650 Dakar, but I get more out of a happy motorized tandem passenger than anything else.

I know used tandems cost $, but if you take the responsibility of another life I think you need (at least) to start with a product that has had dynamic Goodman stress analyses. Not a bike business expert, but I can't imagine a reputable tandem manufacturer over the last 30 years who has NOT run these numbers. Usually along with rides to failure with strain gauge transducers, to calibrate their free body models.

Why not get a banana seat with a sissy bar, sissy bar? You can take out the seat part, and insert a wood plank (the same width) where the seat was, and put screws through the metal bar into the sides of the wood.
Then you can put bike seats on top of the wood if you want

Thanks, great site. I've bookmarked it for when I find a more suitable frame and wheels.

For now, my passenger problems have been overcome by buying a little 50cc motorbike. In Brazil it falls into the same category as a motorized bicycle so I don't need a license or registration:

DSC00235.jpg

Back