Any members affected by the severe weather?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KilroyCD, Apr 29, 2011.

1. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

This week was one of the worst on record as far as severe weather was concerned. I know Kerf had a really close call, and I hope he checks in with us to tell his story. How many other members were affected by this outbreak?

2. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

The fires down here stayed well away, but with the number of firemen who went....the whole community was involved in sending water, changes of clothes (t-shirts socks etc) and energy snacks. (Areas larger that some new england states are now just ashes.) http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/04/texas-wildfires/100050/ We also had 13 funnels spotted with 3 touchdowns. They touched down in fields and lifted before crossing the city. Most damage was from hail. (the storms started around cleaburn TX and moved northeast growing into what was disastrous for Alabama.)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I'm about halfway between Chicago and St Louis. Though it hasn't been a beautiful spring, there's been nothing that's all that terrible.

I've noticed that for the last few years some horrible weather has approached as close as St Louis, but then always seems to move east instead of hitting us.

But those poor folks south of the Ohio River and then up the east coast have taken some nasty hits.

I guess I'll count my blessings and wish good luck to those in the target zone.

4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Down here in Calera, (Shelby County, Alabama) just 30 miles south of Birmingham, one "T" either passed over or touch down at the airport just a mile away.

5. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Tonight we are going through it again. Two severe thunderstorms at once......might be one, but the way the radio reports it it is unclear.

6. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I found this interesting.....
    Apparently the horrible fires in Texas are only the northern tip of the whole raging inferno.
    Much of Mexico is on fire too. Where is the news media coverage on this?

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Some pretty severe wind and rain here, and a few funnel clouds touched down, but no real property damage except to the General's row housing at Barksdale AFB. One did touch down in the secure special weapons storage area, but those bunkers are designed to withstand a near miss from a major thermonuclear weapon - it just slid on through.