any one a member of the freecycle recycling group.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by luke, Jul 11, 2007.

1. luke

luke Guest

hello
    i was just wondering if any members where also members of freecycle.a recycling group where you can give away or take away useable goods.ie to save throwing away items that someone could still use.alternatively get yourself something for free saving the planet.well making a bit more room in landfill.sounds like a good idea but my local group told me to go and get stuffed when i tried to join and the next town over group never replied.so iam begining to think it must be an eliteist organisation or they just hate me.anyone have a better exsperiance.
    thanks luke

2. that would never fly in the states because there are too many people who are consumerist and think this kind of talk is "commie talk" as if helping each other out and recycling can be a BAD thing.

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

there are freecycle groups all over the states as well
    I joined a local one looking for old bikes to pillage for parts/experiment with welding...etc
    never got a single response ! :x

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I joined our local freecycle group a while back..... It's amazing to see how giving people can be! People are being helped daily, by their neighbors.

5. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I am a member of our local freecycle group. When I requested to join, I got a prompt reply and became a member. I am surprised that you were told to "get stuffed" by one of the freecycle moderators.

I mostly give things away, and have never taken anything. You have to be really fast in responding to postings to get anything. I joined in hopes of getting some old stereo gear, and haven't found anything yet. (I restore old HiFi gear and table radios as a hobby)

When I post an item available, I receive my first response within 10 minutes and then build the list from there. First person to respond gets first crack at the item, then if the first is a no show, the next person gets an email. I've given away an old lawn tractor, computers, video games, etc.

The Yahoo group format is old and outdated, they should really use a bulletin board system like this forum and just have new members approved by moderators to prevent spammers.

6. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I'm a member of the Duvall Freecycle and while it has it's rules and quirks, it works just great. I might even point out that I'm a capitalist. Why did they tell you to get stuffed? There must have been a reason.

The rules are there to establish some order. Make contact. Don't promise stuff and not deliver. Don't just give garbage, etc....

Moddy Edit....it was funny, but we are not going down that road, here. Freecycle is thriving in the USA. People in the USA recycle way more than a certain Communist country of 2+B people!! Sheesh.:jester:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2008
  7. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I joined the Lancaster PA Freecycle group a few years ago and was accepted right away. I wonder why you had a problem trying to get approved by your local group.
    I've given a few things away on the group, as well as gotten a few bicycles (including a '62 Schwinn Corvette).

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I joined the local group here about a year ago, and was very glad I did right away. I have given away a TV that was just in my way, a dinette set (table and four chairs), and best of all, I found an old lady who had lost everything in a house fire and was able to help her replace items she had given up hope of finding - a set of tinned copper bread molds for decorative baking that it seems no one makes any more. My wife had a full set that she used as wall decorations in our kitchen which I have had packed away since her murder as I couldn't bear looking at them. That old lady was so grateful, crying in joy as I handed them to her, that giving them away was a great pleasure.

I keep looking for bikes to salvage, but they never seem to appear.

9. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Oh, SimpleSimon. I hardly know what to say....

It seems that you suffered an unimaginable tragedy. but you also took the opportunity to make some small good from what was left over. A wise move. But I'm still sorry.

10. toleroy

toleroy New Member

I found 8 freecycle sites in Toronto Ontario and joined them all. My in box became just jammed with the posts. I culled that down to the 4 closest to me and requested daily digests instead of individual e-mails. I have given away about 50 items and found that as someone else stated you have to respond fast to offers, however, by posting wanted items I was able to obtain a number of items I was unable to obtain with responses to offers

11. I am a member on 6 freecycle groups in surrounding areas & I never give anything away on my local group as I was one of first 5 members establishing it & it is over 500 & it is full of greedy people & there are 25 to 50 wants everyday & some have mulitple e-mails & ask for same items in different e-mails.

I understand people in need but my local one is ridiculous but when I post something I will try to use what I think may be best area for items in a close freecycle.

I was kicked off a freecycle for the crime of....... being too far away? I had been a member for several years & I used to live 15 miles closer but now I am 45 miles away & moderator was a total jerk & threw me out. they actually sent an e-mail to every member & asked for them to give their actual location & if no reply would be auto evicted in 2 weeks & when I replied I was told I was too far away & was evicted imediately. I go to the county that freecycle is in fairly often & have given stuff away on several occcasions as well as helped people from there. oh well..

all other freecycle groups I have dealt with have been great with mostly good people.

Later,
    Randy