Any Opinions or Experience With This DIY Kit from GasBike?

Hello Moto!

Local time
3:47 PM
So this bike is $500 bucks and there's another bike I'm looking at for $300. This one is apparently marketed for motorizing and the other is just a regular type beach cruiser. The specs on this KMB kit seem pretty decent with heavy duty wheelset, front disc brake, springer forks and the built in engine mount and gas tank on the frame. IT seems like a novel idea but what do you guys think. Here's a link to the product page on gasbike.net.

http://www.gasbike.net/collections/.../products/kmb-motorized-bicycle-diy-bike-only

Any input is welcome because I'm on the fence with this one.

DIY Bike.jpg

it's not a real skyhawk frame, if that matters to you. those knockoffs aren't as rigid or well finished as the real deal.

it's not a real skyhawk frame, if that matters to you. those knockoffs aren't as rigid or well finished as the real deal.
I've heard that before. Are they like a Chinese knock off or something? I don't really get into the hype of the whole Skyhawk thing but I'm sure they are great. What's the deal with em' anyways..are they even available anymore? Every Grubee engine I see is either discontinued or outrageously priced. So all these frames across multiple sites that say they are skyhawk gta-2 frames are really reproductions?

mzmiami on ebay and kcsbikes.com are the only two vendors I'm aware of currently selling legit skyhawk frames. the knockoffs aren't heat treated properly and can easily break.

Buy from them via eBay. That seems to be the best method for better customer service in case you need it.

Buy from them via eBay. That seems to be the best method for better customer service in case you need it.
I agree. I have bought from them several times on ebay and its pretty good. The only problem is the mark up on prices across platforms. This same kit on eBay is $599 as compared to their website where it is a hundred dollars cheaper at $499. Sellers are looking at about 12.9% in fees total they must pay to ebay and paypal out of their total sale price including their shipping costs.

Some of their lower priced items don't have as significant of a price hike and are worth the small increase for the added customer service. That said, I'm not sure I would pay $100 more for the same thing though.

The sad thing about gasbike is you just don't know if you're gonna get shimmed or not!

Anything on gasbike/kings that says GT or Skyhawk anything is fake, has been for years, they were cut off from wholesale buying the real stuff because they were making knock-offs but using the Grube brand names.

I have been e-mail friends with Don Grube for years.
His wife is Angle and owns China Gas the distributing arm for the factories.
That's who you have go through to buy whole parts by the shipping container load.

I know the GT2 story very well, I helped design the new GT2-135 and -150 frames that will take 3+" wide tires up to 29" and have a disc brake mount.

In fact, I am looking at getting my own frames built without the 2-stroke pedestal and instead a flat mounting plate for 4-stroke builds be it direct drive or my 10G shifting 4-stroke set-up.

These are my options:
Big tank or small tank , the frame you have has small tank. Big tank holds about maybe 1qt more.
  1. Steel gas tank cap like 2 cycle engine tanks or plastic cap like what you have.
  2. Straight or S curved down tube.
  3. Down tube & seat tube thickness 2.2 or 3mm.
  4. Small bottom hole 3 pcs pedal or big bottom hole one piece pedal. ,
  5. Drop out 135mm or 150mm if different requires tooling charge.
  6. Disc brake or caliper brakes or made capable for both?
  7. Multi speed or single speed frame
  8. Frame for 26" wheels or 29"
  9. MOQ is 280 frames;
MOQ is Minimum Order Quantity.
280 frames would cost me ~$26K delivered but I don't happen to have that lying around so it will take me awhile, the thing is though, I am approved to buy direct, something gasbike can't do ;-}

If you are looking for the real stuff see http://Bicycle-Engines.com
They are an approved buyer and carry the good stuff including the new GT2 frames.

Thanks for letting me in a little of the know. I appreciate it KC. It's gonna be awhile before I do another bike but I plan on doing a better quality one than my current ride. I'm glad I know now that the website you mentioned has authentic Skyhawk frames and it looks like engine as well. I will definitely keep this in mind as I move towards building my next bike.

I'm kinda surprised that Gasbike doesn't have a lawsuit after I read your first sentence!

Thanks again you guys for your input. I do appreciate it!

Back