Anyone Carrying Their Bike On Shoulder Straps?

5-7HEAVEN

Local time
9:16 AM
My motorized bike has to be pushed/rolled up 2 flights of stairs after the ride. If my 30yo son is home, he brings the bike up for me. Sometimes I don't mind pushing the bike upstairs. Hey, I'm a senior citizen. Sometimes I mind.

Maybe it'd be easier if I strap this 70lb. bike on one shoulder and carry it upstairs.

Anyone doing that?

I guess I'll need to find the correct balancing positions, then use lightweight nylon strap and see how that works.

Last edited:
I used to carry my mountain bike (un-motorized) to the third floor after each ride. I got tired of it and just kept the bike in the back of my Ford Escape. Is it possible for you to do something like that with your motorbike?

I carry my bikes up and down only 7 steps, so my case is quite different from yours. I never had much trouble carrying my gas engined bikes. When I went electric is when the problems started. My first e-bike is a heavy steel framed Schwinn and I built it STRONG with no concern for weight. Second e-bike I learned a little and made some attempt at lighter weight without sacrificing strength. It has an aluminum central frame, but steel suspension forks front and rear. I replaced the steel pedal cranks and steering head with aluminum. It is still a bit of a strain carrying it due to the 17 pound battery and 17 pound direct drive hub motor.

E-bike #3 is a work in progress and I am making every effort to go as light as possible, yet retain, even improve, strength. I am going with an aluminum framed Genesis Saber 2600 mountain bike for the strong but light alloy MBT frame. The quality of the bike is very high and is still only $200.00. While the rear suspension fork is all aluminum, the front suspension fork has steel lowers and the fork alone weighs 5 pounds. I am replacing it with a higher quality alloy fork unit weighing just under 3 pounds. I will be using a geared motor that weighs just 7 pounds instead of the 17 of the direct drive hub motor at a loss of some power and speed, though the battery will still be the Ping LiFePo4 battery weighing 17 pounds. I will not sacrifice range for lighter weight. I also replaced the mountain bike front gears with road bike gears so I can go a lot faster pedaling than the low geared MBT can go. Road tires are smoother riding and lighter than nobbies, so the tires got replaced. The wheels were also replaced with higher quality, stronger and lighter rims.

The new e-bike will actually weigh a tad less than my last gas engined bike, although just the base bike will cost about twice what the basic bike cost before I put the GEBE-SR EHO 35 engine on it did. Carrying it up and down stairs will not be a great strain. Light weight, strength, and quality can be built into a MB, but it does cost more.

Last edited:
wheelbender6, I used to transport my bike in my van sometimes. It took more effort to place it in there than to push it upstairs.

motorbikemike45, I used to carry my 140lb. "The Dragon Lady" upstairs after every ride. It was an electric bike back then, and I had to remove and reinstall 80lbs of lead batteries before each ride. When I converted to twin gas engines, the bike weighed 105lbs. It was too heavy to push upstairs, so I left it under the stairwell.

I really like having my bike upstairs. It's convenient and sometimes I'm wrenching on it @ 2am, then riding it to work @ 7am.