Anyone concider MBing the appalachian trail?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kitcarguy, May 23, 2009.

1. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Member

My brother hiked it a few years, I wonder if you could get away with a MB on the 2100 mile trail

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Not only would you not get away with it, you shouldn't try. Now, the Blue Ridge Parkway you could do on an MB - in fact that is one of my dream trips.

I have a friend living at each end of that road. I'd like to haul my trike to the west end, leave my car with my friend Theresa, cruise it over about a 4 day period to the east end, spend the weekend at Dawn's place, then cruise back and rest up a day or two at Theresa's. Actually, I'm hoping to get Gary, Theresa's husband, to build an MB himself, and park the hawg.

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I might be in the minority on this one. Time to find out:

I once crossed the country on a motorcycle. Started in San Francisco. Never actually reached the Atlantic Ocean (wasn't my destination) but the total miles were about the same. And then back to SF. The bike was suited to the task; Yamaha 850 Special with a Windjammer fairing, hard saddle bags, rack on back for more luggage, etc. I'll miss that bike until the day I die.

But I've never been so stiff and sore and miserable at any other time in my entire life.

I love my motor assisted bicycle. But there is no way I would ever even think about riding it long distance.

I'm definitely glad I made that motorcycle trip. But I would not choose to do it again. Unless maybe if time and money were no object and I could do it in a much, much, much more leisurely fashion.

4. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Member

I did not ride cross country but I did ride from Massachusetts to Florida on a CBR600 and it was the worst ride ever. It was about 1300 miles.

I just thought something like the trail would be an amazing trek. My brother said on a good day he would hike 20 miles. I just was not sure if people mountain bike on it or anything.

5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

You could do a lot of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which sometimes runs along parallel ridges to the AT.

But if I was running a few miles along the Blue Ridge, it would be no biggie to detour over into the Shenendoah Valley.

You go whichever way the wind blows a lot of the time anyway.

6. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Heh! It's a lot like being beaten with sticks, ain't it fellas?!?

7. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

From the AT Conservancy

8. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Member

Well that explains that...lol.

9. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Bummer...but you know, its only illegal if you get caught :0)

10. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

You would get caught at one point they have ridge runners all over the trail at different points plus don't forget the people that maintain the trail to I doubt you would get very far but like you said it would be a neat idea for sure

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Some things are illegal not to deny you a selfish pleasure, but for perfectly valid reasons. A trail designed and maintained for foot traffic will not long survive motor traffic of any kind, nor will the spirits of those who go into wilderness seeking a respite from the noise and the hustle of modern transportation.

Many years ago I walked from the border of Oregon/California to E. C. Manning Provincial Park in British Columbia, via the Pacific Crest International Trail. The only times I heard the sounds of motors were when within a short distance of a highway crossing, and when I did hear them they were jarring to my ears. It was one of the turning points in my life - I learned more about myself in silence and in solitude than ever any other could teach me.

Leave there be some wilderness, or if not wilderness, at least then some quietude.

12. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Eloquently expressed. There are more than enough other trails to ride.