Anyone else into lockpicking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sam1304, Jun 19, 2009.

1. sam1304

sam1304 New Member

i was just wondering is anyone else into lockpicking. i've been at it 2 years quite an interesting hobby.:detective:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Well, a lot depends on why. You can probably figure that we don't have a lotta sympathy for bike thieves around here.

What other reason is there for picking locks?

3. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Well, you never know when you (legitimately) need access to something you don't have a key for. I have a set of "bump keys" that have come in handy a few times. (Usually when someone had locked their keys in a house or room)

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

can help to lead one into being a locksmith ??
    or prison ??

lost keys to a Honda one time
    peeled off the little tin piece on lock -- all tumblers fell out
    no one but I knew
    any key worked after that

MM

5. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm using a U-lock right now that only has one key. It's occurred to me that I'm gonna be sorry if I lose that key.

But I figure I'll just hire a mechanic with an acetylene torch.

And after paying him $75-80 bucks to unlock my bike, I'll pedal on home thinking, "How could I have been so stupid?........"

Maybe I ought to get a new lock.

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

One of the benefits of lock picking as a hobby is that one starts learning about how locks work, and that improves the likelihood of making a good choice when choosing an effective lock for a specific purpose. Most locks really only deter casual, opportunistic would-be thieves. Those who rob for a living usually learn how to defeat them readily.

7. sam1304

sam1304 New Member

very true. the reason i do it as a hobby is for one it's great fun it's quite like doing a puzzel with your eyes closed, i'm also working on becoming a locksmith.
    it's also good to be able to educate people on just how **** most of the locks are out there. and sure if there were'nt people out there breaking locks the companies would'nt bother making better ones and we'd all be stuck with something not very secure at all. it's also good for when ye come out of the pub locked and ye have no keys to get into your home.

8. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Say what you will about lockpickers... but you'll wish you knew one if you ever lock yourself out of your car or house. I lock myself out of one of those at least once a week.

Any lockpickers in the NH area? Could you be on call and carry a beeper?

He hee :)

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I used to pick locks - my motivation was a bit offbeat, however. I started after I lost my left (dominant) hand at age 12, and I had to accomplish two things - train my right hand to a high level of dexterity, and learn to use my prosthetic for precise tasks. Lock picking helped with both. It was occasionally useful over the years, as well.

10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Lockpickers are hobbyists (and sometimes thieves), Locksmiths are professionals! :)