Anyone ever try this tensioner?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by zippinaround, Sep 12, 2016.

1. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

2. zippinaround

Anyone? Bet I'll get it and it'll be a piece of junk haha

3. zippinaround

Was hoping someone would have tried it before guess I will be the guinea pig.

4. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

I think so! They might not be available on USA fleabay. I would be wary of heavy spring tension sapping power but it does say it is adjustable.

5. butre

butre Well-Known Member

if you've got square stay tubes, go for it

6. FurryOnTheInside

I think it's for mounting to the sprocket cover? I mean in our application, not it's intended motorcycle application.

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

you'd have to drill new holes, I doubt the existing holes line up

8. zippinaround

well could always file a groove in it my worry was that it sucks haha
    thats exactly what i was thinking mount to the clutch actuator cover .

i think i'll just get it, although would hate to waste the 14€ as i dont have much money, but it has to be better than the stock one

9. zippinaround

yeah highly unlikely they will line up exactly but its just aluminium should be easy drill a few holes in it.
    **Update**
    I chickened out and got one of these http://m.ebay.ie/itm/8mm-10mm-Chain...Bike-ATV-Go-Kart-Motorcycle-HOT-/381616730567 and one of these http://m.ebay.ie/itm/8mm-Chain-Roll...-Trail-Dirt-Bike-XR-CRF-50-70-F-/201572483151 will fashion some kind of bracket from scrap , that other one looked too fancy for my bike anyway haha

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  10. skyash

skyash Active Member

In the pic it looks massive to big to be practical maybe. do thay tell you the size of it ?

11. zippinaround

No I was going to message the seller but decided it doesn't really suit my bike (my bike is old and looks like trash haha) will see if I can find some dimensions anyway

12. gary55

gary55 Active Member

The spring action pulls the roller to the the clamp. To use it on the chain stay ( which on most bikes the square clamp won't work) it needs to be upside down compared to as it is shown in the ad which makes the spring pulling in the wrong direction, downward. I would use the turbobuick tensioner for mounting to the cover, They work great, and last almost forever.

13. JunkyardDog

JunkyardDog Active Member

gary55 likes this.
  14. gary55

gary55 Active Member

Yep that's the one.

15. zippinaround

Yeah that looks good but way too expensive , I'll make something up myself see how it goes

16. Maybe that's the way they it to be like a bicycle tensioner thought for long time first time but I have used a floating spring tensioner cost about 4 bucks your chain might buck and move wheel up its stuck the chain might buck again break or come off but floating spring tensioner will absorb the energy and wrestle it back down. I use an arc bar notice I have 2 tension wheels use to it either come off the top or the bottom got it squeeze together.

17. zippinaround

I just bought a replacement in line skate wheel on ebay for 2€ also I reckon that'll be better then the other 2 I got , but I did see a tensioner like you explained on a dune buggy before had two rollers one on each side but I don't think it's necessary for us or for me at least with no suspension when the engine is running the top of chain is tensioned by the engine.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32717...r-rough&spm=2114.13010208.99999999.262.UbrEQZ
    These look like they could be good 4 for 7 $ pretty good but no bearings

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  18. FurryOnTheInside

Except when you are bump starting, engine braking or just pedalling the bike with the clutch pulled.
    I think the SBP right hand side tensioner is the best known example of a (shall we call it a) calliper type tensioner. It could be set up on the single speed, with a turnbuckle instead of the spring, too.
    I'm not sure how it compares with the other single roller sprung types with regards to its efficiency. Probably not bad with a turnbuckle though I think.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016