Centrifugal Anyone ever used the Centrifugal Clutch Kit?

I got one from Boygofast, and his kit had a one way roller clutch in the clutch bell so you could still pedal start the engine. I did not have to install the pullstart, but I did and haven't had any problems. You'll need to install wider cranks on your bike to clear the added equipment.

Ok. I want to get it for my small bike which doesnt have peddles on it.

Do all of them have a one way bearing?

Attachments

• DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,728
The ones that DO know will have something like "starts by pedaling" in their ads.

Have the centrifugal clutch, love it (from BoyGoFast). 250 miles so far with no probs... time will tell.

As to the pull starter... had some problems, replaced the rope once. But I never need to use it anyway, except to start it when it's up on my bike stand.

Normally, a turn or two on the pedals and she always starts right up cold. Just a bare push on the pedals when she's warmed up. Starting and stopping without using the manual clutch is real nice, and i assume the manual clutch will last just about forever now.

Just as a warning - at about 25 miles, my cent clutch started slipping. I pulled the cover and saw that there was too much grease on the bearings which had migrated out to the clutch shoes. Cleaned that up and have had no problems since.

Good Luck and Good Riding.

Last edited:
Ok, I have installed the kit.

Installing was a pain, had to bore out the bushing abit so that clutch fits and the gears match. Otherwise the clutch cover cant even go on, and the gears may only touch/overlap alittle resulting in a bad metal crunching sound and not much power transferred to the wheels.

With my 31T sprocket this thing is like a CVT, the engine appears to sit on 3000rpm a considerable proportion of the time (which means its slipping alot). Slight throttle will cause considerable vibration when the engine rpm is below ~3000 as the pads vibrate the clutch bell. Vibration goes after engagement rpm. Throttling only to moderate/high throttle (instead of slight) bypasses/eliminates this vibration as engine goes straight to ~3000. Sending Quadmaniac a PM to see if this is normal.

Acceleration is worse than manual clutch and starting up a moderate/steep hill from a dead stop is not possible unless you want a dead clutch. Power transfer is very gradual and small, the clutch doesnt "grab" as I expect, which is disappointing as this means it spends alot of time slipping up to speed.

Which is bad news, I dont think the pads will last long unless i replace the sprocket with a 44T.

As for the benefits, its very user friendly, much more comfortable operation, and no more engine chugging below idle speeds. But in my case pedalling from a dead stop is still needed in many situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I can't tell you about the 'add on kit'. I purchased my engine from BGF with both the centrifugal clutch and pull start installed ($169 + ship, if i recall).

Other than the issue mentioned, i've had no trouble at all. No vibration, no strange noises. As a matter of fact, the standard noise issue (coming from gears between the crankshaft and standard clutch) are not an issue with my engine. The Cent clutch seems to block a significant amount of this noise (similar to why some ppl put sound dampening material on their clutch cover). In my case, the clutch cover, which is significantly beefier, doesn't vibrate like the stock one does.

Another possible difference: I am using a Sick Bike Parts shift kit also, and always start out in 1st or 2nd on my 7 speed cassette. Clutch engagement is quick from a standstill, no slipping and no pedaling required. There is no slipping at all going thru the gears and in 7th on a mild hill with full throttle, there is no evidence of anything but full clutch engagement. I can climb the steepest hills in my area (pretty darn steep) at 8 to 10 mph in first with no pedalling and no clutch slipping.

The SBP shift kit adds a freewheel to the crank assembly, so when i come off throttle the cent clutch disengages from the driveline quickly which causes both chains to stop turning. To shift gears while coasting, I simply blip the throttle to get the chains turning, and turn my grip shifter. Very simple, and works like a champ everytime.

All i can say is, with my configuration, the centrifugal clutch works great! I can't tell you how long it will last because I only have about 300 miles on it so far... but even if it were to wear out soon, i'd buy new shoes and keep using it - it's so dang convenient.

SO, bottom line.... With a Sick Bike Parts shift kit, the centrifugal clutch works like a dream (at least in my case) and the whole package is exactly what i was looking for in a motorized bike.

Good Luck and Good Riding!

Last edited:
Yes a gearbox like the shift kit would change things considerably, as the torque required is lowered.

At this point in time I wouldn't recommend the centrifugal clutch to heavy riders not using the shift kit or riders using small sprockets. There's only a certain amount of torque this clutch can transfer from a dead stop. Even pedalling to ~5km/h it slips too long for my liking.

At speed however the clutch appears to work normally and can do hills at speed. Starting up the side of said hills from a dead stop, is where it cannot grab and constantly slips.

Will take it apart again to see if oil has contaminated the clutch bell. Don't remember any previous period where the clutch performed better though.

Can you give a rough guess what engagement rpm is yours Quadmaniac?

Reverted back to 44T sprocket, and now the bike can go from a dead stop easily, even in a incline. Its safe to say one should stick to 40+T sprockets with a centrifugal.

However the vibration(and associated sound) at low rpm/speed is still there, and its only a matter of time before something breaks from fatigue failure. The one way bearing seems to be sometimes giving way; although once engine is started its totally fine. The bike is still fully operational, I hope things don't go worse from here.

Right now i dont recommend it due to the fact i had to spend alot of time grinding a part to make the clutch fit, and also the vibration. The other choices are a 4 stroke engine kit and the pre-assembled centrifugal 2 strokes - Quadmaniac's clutch appears to be good. As with these 2 stroke kits its all a gamble. Depending on the extra cost of the pre-assembled 2 stroke you may buy the 4 strokes instead.

If you are going to buy a 4 stroke engine, you may as well buy a cheap Ebay 4/2 stroke scooter that can be road registered for ~$600. E.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:2|39:1|240:1318

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back