Anyone here ride on snow?

I think it would take a tank to drive that tank. Maybe a 350 chevy smallblock
Doc

Van, if your looking, check out #2 video link supplied by Small Weels.
That first one Small Wheels is definately X-TreeeeeeeM!
Doc

well it snowed today yeehaa i looked outside and white! so before my coffe was even gone i was out the door with bike in hand bwwwwaaa....ok so we only got like an inch and its gone now at 3:00pm but was a little slick and a good "BLAST"!

I'll be out tomorrow. The snow is mostly cleared on the roads, But there's still some ice. I wish I could run a studded rear tire, but I'm friction drive. I'll try to get some video. Hopefully I won't be giving any gravity demonstrations.

Ok, I grew up in Wis. about a hundred miles north of Milwaukee. I had a Whizzer for several years and rode a lot in the snow and ice. What I did was take some old clutch or brake cables and cut them into short pieces and wrapped them around the tire and rim and soldered them together just inside the rim. Wrap them so they form an X on the road side of the wheel. A friend of mine had one also and he bought some piano wire. The braided kind. He ran two long pieces around the tires and rims,again crossing them every few spokes or so. Use your imagination. The things worked great and took me many miles to school and home. This was in the 40's and 50's and we would ride when the cars could not go. Riding on snow and ice was a fun thing for us. When the river would freeze over we would ride on it and take our 22 rifles along. We always would have a gunny bag full of rabbits and game. We did all sorts of crazy things. We even tried tying a broom handle between our Whizzers for better balance. That one did not work and I nearly ruptured myself. You guys sure bring some old memories back. Craziest thing, I came out here to Washington and these idiots CLOSE the schools and get the snow plows out when they get 1/4 " of slush on the roads and actually put their bikes away in the winter. I'll be 72 in Feb. and a little snow won't stop me and my GEBE 35. NO WAY! One thing you need to remember when riding on ice--don't be sliding sideways and hit a dry spot! Have Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Snow, lol.
Last week, we had about 8 inches fall within a couple of days. then it got cold, i'm talking -40C cold the one morning that I left for work. Last Friday it started snowing again but only for a little while, and environment canada issued a severe weather warning for the area over the weekend. Saturday afternoon it really started to snow, and Sunday morning I awoke to another foot on top of the 8 inches we already had. I headed of to work on my bike just like any other day. There was only myself and one other person that made it in that day...he drives a huge 4x4 and was totally shocked to see me pull in as even he had serious problems, lol.
Riding in the snow is similar to riding in loose, soft sand or mud. A decent mountain bike tire will get you thru it without much trouble. I've been riding year 'round for the past few years, and still haven't bothered with buying studded tires. Most bicycle shops sell them for around $30-40 a tire.
The nice thing about having an engine is that you do not throw yourself off balance by exerting weight from side to side as you peddle...this does help to keep you upright. The other nice thing is in slick, icy conditions you can also cruise with your feet down and use them like training skis (wheels) to help keep your balance.

Now there's an idea. put side mounted short skis hooked on shocks or springs to help keep you stable. Hmmm?

I don't know where these people get theirs...

Attachments

• ski bike rally at Sipapu, NM.jpeg
    ski bike rally at Sipapu, NM.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 237
Back