Anyone know about Schwinn Electric OCC Choppers?

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by sangesf, Mar 10, 2009.

1. sangesf

sangesf Banned

I'm looking to see if I can use 36v on the rear controller and not have any issues.

Will it work?

(It's usually a 24v system, but was wondering if 36v would work)

2. kingarthur123

kingarthur123 New Member

I haven't used one myself. But for motorcycle lovers out there, I have one suggestion. You may look out after a mechanic or a person who is really involved in things such as this. I am not pretty good in combinations like this one.
  3. cowboy1948

cowboy1948 New Member

I have a Schwinn occ chopper electric bike. But the controller is burnt. Do you know anything about them? Or what controoler will work in it's place?
  4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the controller must be rated for 36v if you want to use a 36v battery pack. That is because the controller prevents the batteries from being drained too low and the engine from being overheated. I don't think the voltage matters to the motor. If the motor is rated for enough watts, like 500w, it will handle 36v without burning up.
    -If you change the controller to a 36v model, I would change the throttle as well. Throttle for 24 and 36v controllers are often different.
    -Lastly, you need a brushless motor controller for a brushless motor and likewise, you need a brushed motor controller for a brushed motor.
    This site sells a lot of controllers:
  5. Saddletramp

Saddletramp Member

I build motorized bikes for a living, used to. I want an electric, but 400.00 for a kit & battery seems darn expensive. Are they worth it. I am a serious rider, sometimes 30 miles a day. Ideas?