Brakes Anyone know how to quiet down noisy cantilever brakes?

joeltrain

Local time
2:30 AM
I have an older Specialized Hard Rock w/ a 66cc skyhawk. It has DiaCompe cantilever brakes and pads. The kind with the NON threaded posts. They are VERY noisy. Louder than my motor at idle. I sprayed the brakes and rims down with wd40 and it stopped the noise for about 50miles but I had almost no brakes during that period! If anyone knows a simple solution (short of buying new pads) I'd appreciate it.

Or, if im forced to buy new pads i'd like some suggestions on some good ones. I drive in the rain sometimes and really want something that will work. The one's i have now actually stop very well, but it's a little embarrassing riding around town.

I have a vintage DiamondBack Ridge Runner with those same brakes. I'm assuming you have alloy rims and the brakes are squealing. If so, here's a little tutorial:

The usual problem is the toe-in. Proper toe-in is when the tip of the brake pad that is closest to the front of the bike (the leading edge), hits the rim first, when the brakes are applied. It is a very slight angle because as you squeeze the brake lever, the leading edge hits and then the rest of the pad is squished up against the rim too. You want the leading edge to hit first. You don't want the leading edge to be the only part that hits. The trailing edge of the pad should be about 1 - 2 mm away from the rim as the leading edge begins to make contact. Take a look at your bike and see what's happening as you apply the brakes. Do it slowly several times to make sure you are seeing it correctly. It is a subtle adjustment.

http://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair-tech-info/featured-tech-articles/704-rim-brake-adjustment

If you end up replacing them, I've had good luck with the KoolStop canti brake shoes.

Back