Anyone know of a 12v dynamo...?

RedBaronX

Local time
4:05 AM
Subject line says most of it...

I have what is currently a stand-alone lighting system powered by a 12v rechargeable battery. To recharge it, I remove it from the bike and charge it with a wall plug (bike is parked outdoors and I live on the second floor, so running a cord out to the bike is not possible). The inconvenience is worth having a full lights system, but I would to be able to recharge the battery with a dynamo. Anybody have one or know of one that works well?

the headlight alone is 18w, don't know how much the tail light is nor the blinkers and brake light

Sure, there are 12v bottle dynamos. 12v 6w to be precise. My local CVS (Longs Drugs replacement) sells them, even.

A simple search at Amazon or eBay will lead you to them. They usually come with a light set, but one side of the dynamo is 6v (taillight).

well yeah, I've seen those. But I don't know if they are going to put out enough power to recharge a battery that is running a 18w light plus other lights if they are designed to run a 6w bulb...

They may or may not. Hard to tell when you're going over 20MPH on a bottle genny.
It sure as heck aint gonna keep up with an 18w light. No one I know of one sells a genny that will.

a brushless or even (cheap these days!) brushed motor as used in RC...

needs a rgulator/rectifier. either source one from a pit bike or make one with a few diodes and a 12v regulator (or zener if you are really cheap)

Back