Anyone tried the Mini notebook computers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Happy Valley, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Just picked one up on sale and using it to one post, Acer One, 2 gigs ram and 120gb HD.

The 2 lbs is sweet but 8" screen needs some getting used to, lots of scrolling needed, and my rough fingers are a little clumsy with the small keyboard, LOL, good that Firefox has spell check.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

haha...that's got more "poop" than my Emachine Desktop!!! 40 gig HD & my ram is still measured in MB....hahaha

was it ethernet ready??

3. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Yes they have WIFI and ethernet just watch which model you get they have different batteries in them one has a 5 cell and the other model a 3 cell battery in it depending on price I have hear they are supposed to be a decent computer for the price maybe not a gaming or a photoshop computer for general use not bad only other draw back no cd drive in it you would have to get an external. But to take it with you on your bike very cool gadget.

4. sparky

sparky Active Member

I was pretty excited when I first heard about the first ASUS eee pc, but I knew 7" was too small. I finally got to see one of the 9" versions at BestBuy, and the keyboard is soooo ridiculously small. I feel like 10-13" widescreen is the bare minimum for any adult, and then you can get a REAL keyboard to go with it. I use the keyboard more often than a mouse/touchpad, so a laptop with keys half as wide as normal laptops will never have any use by me... and I've got pretty skinny fingers.

The only use I see them having is for parents to give their children, business owners and/or cross-country -world travelers that think about every ounce they're lugging around, and last but not least... people who want car PCs. These make a perfect solution for that.

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I like the cool factor, but my monitor is a 36" wides aspect ratio HDTV, and I have the font size dialed up to 5/16" tall letters so I can read it. Don't think one of those would do me much good. A friend who recently emigrated from South Africa to southern Chile is a professional writer - disciplined guy, he writes 5,000 words per day, everyday - and he uses the 9" screen Asus. As he says, it's about the size of a hardback book, and with his electrovaya extended life power pack is about as thick as a 600 page book. He gets 12 hours use before recharging is necessary. It goes everywhere with him.

6. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I had a 6.1 inch in Toshiba Libretto back in 1997. It was a great "laptop" for checking email on the road. My latest one is a 12 inch Averatec which I have owned for 5 years. Does everything I need it to do perfectly, email and web. I like the small laptops becauese I can take them with me almost anywhere without lugging around much weight.