Anyone using a Techumseh 49cc?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by professor, Nov 18, 2009.

1. professor

professor Active Member

Just got one in a Toro Snow pup - looks like it is perfectly suited to adaption- 5/8ths keyed straight shaft and fairly small. 3hp. needs remote tank on this one and an air cleaner (snwblowers don't have air cleaners).

2. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

yup, although what you have is a 98cc. Have one of them too. Good engines. Run at 4400 rpm governed speed, but will happily rev higher. Not overly economical, but tough and light. They will take a standard centrifugal clutch quite nicely. Engagement is about right too. Nice compact setup with plenty of power, more than my 97cc 4 stroke.

3. professor

professor Active Member

Denny- I was looking for another of the 98cc engines when I bought this one. never see one this small before.
    The bigger ones come on the S-200 Toros and this one came on a tiny 14 inch wide thrower that is similar but smaller. The first consumer thrower was this Sno-pup.
    I measured the bore and stroke - 3.0 cubic inches / 49ccs. The big one is 6hp.
    The 49 is going on my gas/electric bike which is coming real good.

4. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Well, now that is interesting. I am running a tc 200 on one of my bikes. Kinda like it. I don't know from personal experience how it stacks up against the 2 strokes that are more commonly used on bikes. but it does the job for me. One thing I have found is that once you get past 50 cc's most engines max out at 3600-4400 rpm and that creates a *gearing problem*. One bike I run has an oversize engine and the 50's will actually outrun it unless you are pulling stumps. (speaking figuratively of course) I will also say that my experience is that the little tecumseh isn't as economical as a 4 stroke. (80-90 mpg vs 140 or so) I will have to look up your thread and see what application you have in mind for your engine. If you really want a good running 98 cc, I guess mine would be for sale also. Might be a deal in here somewhere. Oh, in my; case I find that the 4 strokes will start reasonably reliability sitting out side at 0 or even less, where the TC 200 starts wanting to hibernate a 30 or so. Anyway, if you want a 98, PM me. Far as that goes, if you want to sell you TC let me know too. Any other info I might have that you need, just ask.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up...I didn't realize that the smaller throwers ran the 50cc.

Denny