Safety Anyone Using Dirt Bike Armor?

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by 5-7HEAVEN, May 22, 2011.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

The time will come when I will fall while riding my MB.I'm travellng up to 37.5 mph, but mainly cruise at 30 mph on my commute. I'm a senior citizen and don't bounce easily. Right now, I wear a 3/4 Snell motorcycle helmet, bicycle elbow/forearm guards and kneepads from a carpet layer. Under that are my office clothes which is collared shirt, jeans and shoes.

I need more protection, brightly colored for visibility.

Anyone consider using dirt bike armor?:idea:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011

2. SlugMan

SlugMan Member

Not a bad idea... I just heard on the scanner that an ambulance was called out for a dirtbiker, he fell and punctured his lung on something.
    Nothing wrong with extra protection. People my make fun of ya, until they fall someday and realize that you were the smart one.
  3. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

hey, if you feel you need it, go for it. the really good motorcycle jackets have that kind of armor built in-- maybe configured in a slightly different way, but it's still there.

I have dirt bike knee and elbow pads that I've considered wearing-- I have it from a GI Joe costume I wore a few years back... [​IMG]

the corset isn't armor though...
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

6. JackSwagger

JackSwagger New Member

In dirt biking there are so many risks, so we should protect our body with the kit, and then go for a ride.
  7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I know. One day I'll either fall at high speed or get hit by a car. Armor will help.

I have a sneaky suspension that my next street bike will be dual sports quasi dirt bike.:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  8. I normally go full face carbon fiber bicycle helmet, t-shirt, and shorts/trackpants. I've gone down once about a year ago and I still have scars. :(
  9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I use my bike to commute to work. I use armored elbow/forearm pads, FOX bomber gloves, carpet layer kneepads, backpack, safety vest and jogging shoes with jeans. Shorty motorcycle boots is my next purchase, as well as chest protector and knee/shin guards.

If the crivers look and make fun of me, at least they're noticing me.:whistling:
  10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Guest

Everytime I ride in the dirt, the first thing that goes on is the chest protector, full knee and shin guards, elbow pads and gloves and of course a full face helmet. As for street riding elbow, knee pads and a full face helmet. I've been down a few times and the extra protective gear saved my rear everytime.
  11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

After work, I put on all my gear(except my helmet) in my cubicle, before walking down the hallway to the garage. When I park my bike in the morning, I just take off my helmet, walk down the hallway and take my gear off in my cubicle.

Once I ride alongside the cars, I guess that's when people realize how sensible it is for me to be wearing protective gear.

I need to buy shorty boots that I can use at work all day.:idea:
  12. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

The Fox chest protector arrived two weeks ago, and I use it to ride to work every day. My co-workers say that I look like "Transformers".

"I AM Iron Man" I replied.:devilish:

The knee/shin guards should arrive soon. I'm flying to L.A. next month and will buy a good set of AXO motorcycle shorty boots.
  13. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

I’m not knocking safety in any way.
    I used to race dirt bike motocross and invested in some chest and back Armour with the shoulder pads and stuff.
    The bad thing for me was I was using WOT across the whoop de doo sections and being real limber without the body Armour was more of an advantage. After putting on the body Armour I couldn’t react as fast and crashed like almost %100 of the time with the body Armour.
    I've also been in like two motorcycle accidents and the only thing that saved me on the first one was being real quick and responsive. I was hit head on to the side of my bike and I seen the truck at the last second I jumped on the hood of the truck. The bike went under the truck and was demolished on both sides. Being real limber there saved me again.
    The last motorcycle accident I had, I was cut off by a car that went horizontal across two lanes blocking both lanes and stopped.
    I was on an XR650R and powered sideways slamming into the sideways car as I was sideways.
    The whole side of the car was totaled it was kind of funny as my bike didn’t have a scratch on it.

So for me I use a helmut and thats it.
  14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

I'm glad for you that you had quick reflexes.

Me, I'm an old man with slow reflexes. I need the safety equipment for the inevitable.
  15. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

Great idea. I have thought about getting some inexpensive BMX pads (knee and elbow). I had some before that were really good for MTB riding on rocks, but they were very hot!
  16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Instead of buying $200 motorcycle boots, I pulled my 10-year-old RedWing boots out of storage. I bought these a year before I retired from the phone company in 2002. They fit snug, 'cause my feet got fat, lol. The good thing is that the knee/shinpads slip right into the lip of my boots. When I get to work at my office, sometimes I change to slip on shoes, sometimes I just wear boots all day. Kinda weird, old boots, jeans and a nice shirt, lol.:jester:
  17. Aidan

Aidan New Member

I'm thinking of a nice padded riding jacket, I know the leather jacket I was wearing when I went down the other day saved much of my skin.
  18. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I always stick to soft armor, using hard pads really hurts your mobility and by extension your reaction time. I've got kevlar leggings under my jeans, a leather jacket, Mechanix gloves, and a full face helmet. That combo has saved my hide at much faster speeds than these bikes are capable of.
  19. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

Please, spare yourself the ridicule and giggles of onlookers... dont wear dirt bike helmets or power ranger suits on your motorised bicycle. Lmfao. Makes me laugh every time.
  20. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Who gives a damn what any 'onlookers" think about your gear?

They aren't going to be paying your hospital bills or pushing you around in your wheel chair.....
    Anton likes this.