anything but a happytime

I don't think they are more unreliable than your typical gas weed trimmer.
I replaced the head nuts and the mounting studs - and coated every screw, nut and bolt with thread locker. I spent a lot of time paying attention to the small details, and I think it was worth it. On the bikes that I sell, I give them a total of 25 miles test rides to get the engine through a critical time of break-in. Maybe some people are ignoring the break-in and revving them too much when they are brand new.

You can improve the HT and make it much more reliable and it will be good but it will cost much more. Sure people will still buy but you have to still keep the revs down if you want the engine to last regardless.
I think the reason why some HT engines fail out there is that the very nature of 2 strokes makes you want to just run these things at wide open throttle most of the time. I like to keep it at half to 3/4 throttle so I have some reserve power and cruise at just under 20 mph. And with that my HT is on it's second bike and has easily 2500 miles. I have done a magneto change,spark plug wire and spark plug change. Boost bottle too. That's it. Original hardware. Oh clutch mod and roller bearing idler currently. And some opening up on the exhaust.
Because you are buying a kit for about 200 dollars there simply is no competition. Other kits you need twice this amount,so your gonna see cheap quality. It's really up to you to get it stronger or simply just take it real easy and back that throttle off.
Even if you don't a rebuild is not a whole lot of money as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until recently (I'm a little slow sometimes!), I never even knew the hatred some have for the HT engine. Stronger hatred than reasonable IMHO. I say these engines can be made reliable, can be made to scoot and van be quiet without a ton of money. If you expect this for $150 out of the box, it isn't going to happen.

Pablo, I for one would like to hear more, how is this done? I love my little China Girl and look forward to making upgrades and improvements this year when the rains begin.

Well, the in-frame option to the HT is the HS or Honda with the Grubee gearbox (or Hoot, I guess). I have the Honda and (once I sorted out what I had personally screwed up) I am very satisfied with the power and reliability. However, that setup will cost in excess of $400- I have well over $500 in mine (not counting the bike and all the extra stuff- just in the engine and running gear).

To be honest, the HT seems to make a lot of people happy. You hear about a lot of issues with them for 3 reasons.

First, there are a lot of them out there. the sheer volume means there will be more reported problems.

Second, they do take work to set up and keep running right. You have to expect that with a lower priced option.

Third, when someone has a problem, they post loudly and often trying to solve it. That is one of the purposes of this place. However, when everything is going great, there is much less likelihood that you will post a topic like (Everything's fine".

I would mention that most threads that start with HT problems end with solutions. Very few end without a fix.

I am not a HT partisan- I do not have one. I do not hate them, however. They're just not for me.

Here's a pic of my engine.

Attachments

• user2397_pic1583_1221337745.jpg
    user2397_pic1583_1221337745.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 281
Pablo, I for one would like to hear more, how is this done? I love my little China Girl and look forward to making upgrades and improvements this year when the rains begin.

There are many, many posts on this - some with detailed lists.It's worth finding those. Here's just a rambling bit of info.:eek::cool:

In general most all the mounting hardware should be thrown in the trash. Replace with good material Grade 5 equivalent is actually fine and shouldn't be brittle.

Use a good fuel filter and different HD fuel valve. The gas cap will leak, solved with a new washer and not over filling. There will be intake leaks at the carb and or manifold and or engine interface. The engine should be broken in oil rich. The plug (NGK B5HS) and plug wire should be replaced.

Plan on adjusting the carb with the needle e-clip and getting some replacement jets as the engine breaks in. Watch the spark plug for air/fuel condition.

Adjust your clutch cable sheath length (down) as necessary, lube the correct points and adjust the clutch.

Get a dual pull brake lever on the right side.

Be prepared to replace the head studs and head gasket.

Solder and shrink sleeve the wiring connections. Don't use the little (red/black) push button kill switch. (The yellow orange throttle grip push seems to work fine, IMHO)

If you decide to use the stock chain and bolt on sprocket, don't ruin your spokes, make sure the chain gets adjusted as it stretches, get a good tensioner that doesn't bail into your spokes, etc....

Get an expansion chamber and silencer. And at the very least open up the intake and exhaust port and replace the intake and manifold gaskets.

Point being there are detailed posts on all this stuff :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I met an old guy with a HT same as mine today.
He says he got 12,000KM out of his original 48cc, and now he's got almost 3000 on the 66. The original motor outlasted two frames, and this current frame has also been welded up a few times too...

I met an old guy with a HT same as mine today.
He says he got 12,000KM out of his original 48cc, and now he's got almost 3000 on the 66. The original motor outlasted two frames, and this current frame has also been welded up a few times too...

Are people really breaking frames??? I have done about 1500 km with my 48cc HT and I ride it to work every day and I ride it fairly hard, and it just keeps going.
I use the original kill switch (No prob's AS YET). I hope I don't break my frame in trafic on the way to work. Stuff the bike, I just don't want to end up under a truck. The only complaint I have about these motors is the vibrations. I have made full rubber mounts that have helped. I have had friends take my bike for a quick 5min ride and they say that vibrations not much,,But I say "Ya" you ride it for 40 mins each way every day. when this motor dies I wonder if the tail mounted motors are better for less vibs.

Back