Apprehensive First MB Build - Cranbrook

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by agentjosh77, Aug 8, 2009.

1. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

Well, first of all thank you everyone for your time.

I just found a nice used Huffy Cranbrook Men's Cruiser bike and bought it.

I have been planning on getting a Grubee 48cc to install on it:

http://www.gasbike.net/grubee-skyhawk-gt2b-48cc-black-finish-bicycle-engine-kit.html

The reason for this post is to ask a few questions before I purchase a engine kit.

I have searched quite extensively to find information about others using the Cranbrook along with a Grubee, but haven't seemed to run across any threads dedicated to the specific setup and was curious to know if anyone out there has any advice for the build.

I have definitely come to learn that with the Cranbrook you either take off or thoroughly enforce your front fender.

Also I have read about some trouble with the rear hub when trying to fit on the sprocket. What thoughts about this do some of you have? Keep the pedal break or abandon it and go with and hand break?

Besides that I was curious if anyone had any thoughts about a Grubee setup, would it be a good choice for the Cranbrook. (like others on the forum I am under a nice tight budget and the Grubee seems to be the most financially reasonable option at the moment)

The biggest concern I have right now is about mounting the engine correctly to the bike, because it sounds like I will have to either fabricate or purchase a mounting kit for my frame. Is this correct?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this. Hopefully this will answer some of my questions and shake some of this darn apprehension!

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Don't be too apprehensive. The issues you mentioned can be dealt with.

I won't bother trying to explain to you what you'll want to do. There'll be others with Cranbrooks who can give you more detailed advice. They'll come along, too, because you titled this thread really well; it's perfectly clear what the subject will be. Good job! A good title is worth it's weight in gold.

I'll check back in a day or two to make sure of this. If no one notices it, then I'll try to help.

3. rockvoice

rockvoice Member

hey agentjosh, that bike will work fine.
    first off, the grubee motor is a great choice, ive used from most of the diff company's and to me there the best.
    I woudn't eliminate the coaster brake. just add front brakes for shure and/or rear also but keep the coaster for additional or back-up breaking.

you will have to take the coaster arm off the rear wheel to attach the sprocket, while you have it off (and before you install sprocket) you will have to remove the bearing dust cover and grind the crown that goes over the hub. if your carefull you can use tin snips to take the crown off, you want the cover to just fit inside the hub and not around the outside (some just throw out the dust cover but not recomended)

also the motor mounts to the rear mount fine , you will have to make a mount for the front like the photos i put below here.

hope i havent confused you more .

Attached Files:

4. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

Bluegoatwoods and Rockvoice thanks for the reply.

I agree with you on the coaster break. I have an older mountain bike that I will more than likely pilfer the back and front brakes off of.

The rear sprocket attachment I have looked over enough now that I believe I have a better grip on what to expect. I don't have access to a grinder, would a metal file be able to tackle the task?

I think that the whole process will be more solidified in my head when I have the sprocket in my hands and I can see what I am up against.

If anyone has any pictures of exactly what grinding and finishing work they performed on the back section of their Cranbrook that would be more than helpful!

O also, Rockvoice do you happen to know what hardware you bought to fabricate your front mounting bracket? To me it looked like a few simple brackets, plates, and nut and bolt sets.

Stepping into a the new realms of small engines and bicycles is becoming quite enjoyable.

Thank you for your replies. They have definitely eased some of the apprehension. :)

5. rockvoice

rockvoice Member

hey, that front mount is just a piece flat metal stock about 2 or 3 inches wide and comes in 4 foot lengths at home depot or lowes or places likes that.
    find a u-bolt that fits around your tube in front .

drill two holes to bolt the plate to the motor and two holes for the u-bolt
    the previous photo should show the rest. you remove the two studs for the front mount and bolt the plate into those (the kit comes with those bolts)
    then u-bolt to the wider hole aroud your frame.

also the grubee kit comes with another front mount that ive used and it works well too. but you would have to drill into the frame.

and you can file the dust cover it will just take longer. check around the forum ive seen photos somewhere that show how much to remove.

6. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

That all sound great! It's good to hear that the Grubee kit comes with a front bracket that works. I don't really have a problem with drilling into the bike frame. Are there any known issues when doing this?

Thank you again for the reply.

7. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Extra holes in your frame, anywhere, can weaken it.
    Try to avoid creating weak points and you will avoid creating stress failures.

8. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

Well I suppose then that taking a small bit of time and setting up a mount would be a worthy precaution.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  9. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yes, drilling through the frame should be avoided. Especially since the alternative is pretty easy.

Here's what I did with my drive sprocket. I took the dust cap from the hub and laid it down on the sprocket, centered as well as I could. I drew a line around it with a marker.
    Clamped the sprocket down and started making radial cuts with my jig saw from the existing hole out to the line I had drawn. You can picture it, I'm sure; at this point the hole in the sprocket looked like it had teeth. The I started cutting across these teeth. From the inner corner of one to it's opposite outer corner. Repeat as much as possible until you have an inner surface that's a little bit rough. I think I smoothed that surface out with a dremel tool, but I imagine that it could be done with a hand file.

I hope I described that clearly. My sprocket is probably not perfectly centered, but it's close enough that I can't see any wobble and my bike runs fine. Chain derailment is not a problem.

10. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

That sounds like it is a pretty reasonable solution. I will have to consider that when I start in on the modding.

Thanks again!

11. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online retailer to buy a Grubee kit from?

Thank you,
    Joshua

12. eisle89

eisle89 Member

13. BAM

BAM Member

what i did with my cranbrook was to removed the stock front engine studs and bought longer ones then flatened tube were the motor mounts also use a old inertube were the motor mounts i also discarded my rear dust cap so sproct would fit not best idea but every things going great lots miles on mine watch out for coaster brake on lose gravel also know fenders on mine good luck with your build

14. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

Thank you eisle98 and BAM for the responses. From what it looks like thatsdax has some great pricing. It looks like that is going to be my best bet.

Thank you for the Cranbrook advise, I have heard enough about discarding the dust cap that is seems like a possibility.

Do you find your self cleaning that area regularly to prevent buildup?

About the breaking system, I want attach at lest a hand break for the back tire. I talked about taking off a break from an older mountain bike I have, although those breaks all seem to be build up above the frame and into the frame.

I have seen the disk brake systems that you can install, I am assuming this would be the best solution. Will this be possible with the Cranbrook with the already tight hind quarters on the rear hub?

Did I make that clear enough, or do I need to clarify?

Thanks again!
    Joshua

15. eisle89

eisle89 Member

Well, hopefully you won't have a " breaking system " ;) Just remember that the biggest percentage of braking power is in your front brake. I've used a V brake on my front and with the combo of rear coaster and front V brake it stops very well. If you don't have the mounts on your front forks then get an adapter to mount the brake http://www.ebikestop.com/dimension_...rake_stud_adjusts_from_108___117mm-BR9121.php

16. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

Haha, yes lets hope that I don't apply a "breaking system."

Ok, well like you stated if I don't have the front mounts, which I don't I should purchase the adapter.

How do you fasten the adapter to the frame?

Could you post a picture of your setup by chance?

I am a very visual person, it would help immensely.

Thanks you very much for you responce!

17. eisle89

eisle89 Member

18. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

Eisle thank you for your reply.

I am amazed, you have a GREAT looking setup. Very clean and finished. The aesthetics of your bike is amazing.

Thank you very much for the picture, it made the setup much more clear!

19. eisle89

eisle89 Member

Thank you, and good luck with your " Cranny ".

20. agentjosh77

agentjosh77 Member

That is definitely what I have found from my stay here so far. Thank you everyone for all your help so far.

If anyone has any more insight they would like to share I am more than ready to hear from you.

Thank you,
    Joshua